Fresh Pee-can wood?

GA1dad

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Thanks to the storm, I was able to score some free pecan for next year or two. Two large branches about 8" in diameter fell and I was like a vulture swooping in. I'll probably leave it in 4 to 5 foot lenghts and cut it up into chunks or splits as I need it. What about the smaller limbs towards the end. Would you keep anything quarter sized in diameter for small chunks? Is there a preference between big and small limbs as far as the flavor it releases?

Reckon it'd be worth the effort to chunk it out and sell portions in the spring on Craigslist? If so, what would be a fair price for naturally seasoned pecan chunks or splits?

Thanks for looking.

The smaller stuff, I would cut into smaller chunks and use them in the kettle. There is no difference in flavor release. You would just have to use a few more smaller chunks to equal to a big fist sized chunk.

It will season faster if you cut and split it into the size you will use.
Agree with aawa about the smaller limbs. Use in your kettle. No difference in flavor between large and small stuff.
Always nice when something positive comes from a storm.

It will season faster if you cut and split it into the size you will use.
Agree with aawa about the smaller limbs. Use in your kettle. No difference in flavor between large and small stuff.
Always nice when something positive comes from a storm.

I recently got some pecan wood and chunked it into fist sized chunks, how long do you think it takes to season?

Regular splits take somewhere around 6 months to season. I would guess smaller chunks would season quicker. If you are going to split the pecan, I believe it splits better fresh than after drying.

Great timing, I just stopped by a local place to check on Pecan wood prices ($140 1/4 cord) and noticed that it included some splits and some whole pieces about the thickness of a normal split. What are the chances those smaller whole branch sections are going to burn the same as a similar size split? My thought was it might take longer for them to catch.

I recently got some pecan wood and chunked it into fist sized chunks, how long do you think it takes to season?
If it was freshly cut, in chunks, if you have good air circulation and keep it dry, you could be ready in a couple of months
About the whole, small branches, if you have a good coal bed and a hot fire, they should catch about the same as a split.

I would suggest you cut it to length and split to size you prefer to cook with.As mention earlier it will dry out quicker that way. To tell if it is seasoned enough ,take two pieces and strike them together rather hard, it give off a ringing sound.This gives a good indication of how well seasoned the wood is.If it gives off a dull sound it's still green and full of moisture. Pecan is one of the harder woods to split if your doing it by hand. Good Smoking, enjoy that pecan.

for price I just bought a half cord for $120 last weekend . I let my splits dry out for about 4 months and they are good to go and the way I can tell is the end of the splits will turn back when ready .

Back