Food Savers (Vac Sealers)

Evil-g

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I was in Walmart and was wondering if the Zip Loc food saver was any good.

Or these

Any info is appreciated.

I have a foodsaver and love it. Definitely makes food last longer in freezer.

Thanks, Doubt3. What brand is yours. I should mention the Zip Loc was 39 or 49 dollars. The others came in at 79 and 99 dollars.

I also have the Foodsaver, it's awesome.

Not sure how the ZipLoc would compare, but you do get what you pay for

I have the FoodSaver like the one in the middle, got it at Costco no complaints what so ever wish I had gotten one sooner.

Thanks, Doubt3. What brand is yours. I should mention the Zip Loc was 39 or 49 dollars. The others came in at 79 and 99 dollars.

Mine is Foodsaver brand. It came with the hose attachment to use with canisters which I haven't purchassed. I believe it was a little over $100 (not sure -it was a gift) and came with an assortment of sealer bags.

I know several people who have and use the Foodsaver brand. I'm not familiar with the Ziploc brand.

My friends have the middle one in the picture and I was given the one on the right for christmas a couple years ago.

I would say spend the extra $$$ to get a food saver branded one. I have been super happy with mine. It makes processing deer much easier. We cut up all of our meat into individual meal portions of roasts/stakes/stew meat. I like being able to see what is in the package and just grabbing what I need when I need it.

Food Saver.
Save money on bags at thesweetattack.com. Been using these bags for several months with no problems.

Last edited:
I have the Foodsaver brand. No experience with the Ziploc brand, but their roll bags are junk.

At least, they tend to not stay sealed in my freezer. Foodsavers haven't done that for me.

You get what you pay for. I have the one in the middle been going strong for 5 yrs now.

I have a foodsaver that is at least ten years old. It works fine

I have this one I got for xmas, does the job but I have found a couple at thrift stores with the tube fo $20

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008HMWC4A?keywords=seal%20a%20meal&qid=1444141959&ref_=sr_1_1&s=kitchen&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Seal-a-Meal FSSMSL0160-000 Vacuum Sealer: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31r34tHcj1L.@@AMEPARAM@@31r34tHcj1L[/ame]

Based on a lot of research and asking around, I just bought the original made in Italy one that's about 20 years old on eBay. They are basically a commercial unit, with easily serviceable parts. Nozzle style that doesn't freak when you get liquid in the pump, 100% duty cycle heat bar that doesn't overheat and will seal even wet greasy bags. I found 11.5" x 50' rolls for $10.50 at webstaurantstore.com

I realize the OP already decided, just thought I'd leave my results here in case other people researching buying one like me & OP wander in.

I've had my Foodsaver for 8 years with no problems, except for the price of bags.

2 other friends have had Foodsaver's that died after a few years, so my opinion is mixed.

Back