MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:42 AM   #1
mattybbq
On the road to being a farker

Default Advice on cooing larger brisket

i normally cook 11 to 13 lb briskets 275 to 300 for about 6/7 hours on my offset normally wrapping around 4 to 5 hrs in. Saw a 21 lb monster in the case this morning and went for it. Any advice on cooking a larger brisket? I was thinking probably going to take an extra 3/4 hours but will wrap at about the same point as the bark should take about the same amount of time. I need to serve it around 3, what time do I need to fire up the smoker
mattybbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2015, 09:53 AM   #2
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

Yesterday. JK, I assume you meant 3:00 tomorrow.
Built in Bull BBQ Gasser
Mini WSM
22.5" Weber OTS
22.5" OTG Blue
22.5 OTG
Anova Sous Vide
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2015, 09:59 AM   #3
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

The thickness of the brisket seems to play more into extra cook time vs overall weight. I've had a 19lb finish before a 14lb'er on the same cook. That being said it could take another hour+ maybe vs an 11-13lb. At home cooking 325-350 most brisket take me 6hrs and for a 21lb'er i'd give it 7hrs.

The time to fire up your smoker really depends on how long it takes to come to temp. I just say if I was cooking a 21lb'er and wanted to serve at 3pm, the meat would need to hit the pit around 7am to be done by 1-2pm'ish and rest for a bit. Starting smoker time again doesn't factor in since we don't know how long your takes to come to temp. Using my weed burner my pit comes to temp in a couple minutes.

Have fun. Take some pics of that monster!!
3 Hunsaker Drums
Big Green Egg XL
Pitboss Copperhead 5
Pitboss Whiskey Still
Pitboss Tailgater
Jason TQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #4
mattybbq
On the road to being a farker

Here's the beast, can of coke for perspective. It's pretty thick. I hear you on not knowing how long it takes to heat up my rig, meant more what time do I have to throw it on. You guys are thinking maybe just 1 to 2 hours more, that ain't bad at all. Since attaching pictures, might as well show off the rig as well.

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg
mattybbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2015, 10:32 AM   #5
landarc

That's a thick looking brisket. I haven't found at the hotter temps I cook that there is much change in time per pound. 275F is one hour, 300F is closer to 45 minutes, per pound

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2015, 01:10 PM   #6
Bludawg

It might be 21 lbs in the package but you're gonna trim off at least 3 lbs of fat I'd guess about 7 hrs cook time + 2 hr rest so fire the pit at 5 am and meat on by 6