A Nice Little Suprise

BBQLuver

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
A while back I did my best to build a WSM mini. Bought the smokey joe and the tamale pot and put it all together. It was much harder than I thought and didn't cook nearly as well as his big brother (WSM 22). It basically was more for my son to have his own smoker and he loved that is was small. However, the fact that it didn't cook as well and my son was not really that interested, it was relegated to the sidelines.

About two years later, my son is starting to show a little more interest and my aunt really likes the mini I'm not using. She asked me to show her how to build one. So I sent her the link the virtual bullet and I sent her a link to the WSM 14. I was telling the wife about it and explaining the WSM 14 is only about $200 (hint, I'm buttering up the wife). My aunt said it looked like a lot of work to build the mini so she said she would probably just buy the WSM 14. Which of course I told my wife (planting seeds).

Around this time I went out and dusted off the mini thinking I would give it another shot. I noticed one if not both the grates had rust on them and would need to be replaced. So chatting with my wife told her I wanted to clean up the mini and needed to buy some other parts for it, but was hesitating. I was hesitating cause I wasn't sure if I should invest any more in a smoker that really didn't seem to work that well (watering the seeds).

Around this time I was chatting with my aunt and let her know I was kicking around getting a replacement for my mini. Later she sent me an email offering to buy it. I told my wife and she said just give it to her. "well honey, what am I going to replace it with?":pray: She said just get that small smoker you've been talking about. :whoo:

I've ordered a WSM 14, should be here in a week.

I still gotta show my aunt how to work the mini and point out a few reasons it may not be performing well (its the airflow, I have a SJS and the airflow coming up through the bottom is just not quite where it should be).

Super excited, I'll post a pic when I get the new baby home.

Question: I'm using the IQ110 on my WSM 22, will the same setup work on the WSM 14? I'm going to buy another adapter so I can just move the controller between the two whenever I want.

Congratulations... on the new WSM.

It great that you shared the old smoker with close family. You didn't lose a smoker, you gained a convert... LOL

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the new smoker in action.

You might have too big of a fan for the 14.5. Contact IQ regards that.
Otherwise, you will love it. You really don'y need atc for WSMs, imho.

Thanks guys. I'm working every angle I can and whatever it is, it seems to be working. I love getting new toys.

You are smooth !! I have been using my mini wsm for years and love it. I use the Smokey Joe Gold. I would really like to have the wsm 14.5 though.This guy is using the IQ 110 on his wsm mini,so I am sure it will work on your wsm 14.5 inch.......[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arg79MgJa0U"]BBQ Ribs Mini WSM with IQ110 - YouTube[/ame]

It great that you shared the old smoker with close family. You didn't lose a smoker, you gained a convert... LOL.

That's the way I'm looking at it :thumb:
They have all had my BBQ and now they want to try and make some of their own. Future Family BBQ competition?

Back