• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How do I move meat without ruining the bark?

dec7td

Found some matches.
Reaction score
What does everyone here use to move the meat around in your smokers? I have some hot and cool spots in the smoker so I like to move my brisket around every hour or 2 hours. But every time I grab it I seem to take off a bunch of the bark. I've thought about using a meat fork but they seem too flimsy. Anything else out there?

some use towels and i know some of the q joints use those pitch fork looking things to stab the meat and flip/move it.

I use gloves and move everything around by hand.

I use black neoprene cooking gloves, but, I don't move the meat for four hours, to insure the bark is set. If it is coming off, you are not allowing it to set. Or you are using too much slather. Bark should not peel or chip from the meat.

I usually don't have to move things around in my smoker, but if I do, I shuffle the shelves if I need to move the meat between the top and bottom shelves. I never touch the meat itself until the bark has set.

I usually dont move it but if I do I use these long tined turkey forks

they are real handy for all kinds of chores like this

they are kind of like these except only 2 tines. I dont stick the meat with them, just lift from underneath

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Turkey-Poultry-Lifters-Set/dp/B000IJ6EVM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1441925977&sr=8-2&keywords=turkey+forks"]Amazon.com: Norpro Turkey and Poultry Lifters, Set of 2: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31vmHSKvRyL.@@AMEPARAM@@31vmHSKvRyL[/ame]

If you're opening the cooker every hour or so to move the meat......you're opening the cooker WAY too much IMO.

It'll be fine. Just find that "sweet spot" and leave it alone for a while.

BUT....when I DO have to move things around (I usually only do this once during the cook before wrapping), I use a double layer of cheap cotton knit gloves with nitrile or latex gloves over them.

If you have to move the meat, you could always set it on one of those racks inside the cooker and just move the racks. I see it sometimes on competition shows and that is the only reason I think they would set a brisket on a rack only to set it on a rack in the cooker. Those little racks are pretty inexpensive and last a while.

I heard an Arron Franklin interview where he said that was the main purpose of him wrapping the briskets in paper, was to keep the bark safe once it setup.

I wouldn't move anything until the bark is setup how you want it. Then wrap. Then make your adjustments.

I also use the white cotton glove with disposable nitrile over. But they do make high temp rubber gloves that are pretty sweet. You can wash em in the sink real easy afterwards.

Mostly I agree with Wampus. If you have to move meat, try putting the meat on a seperate grate, like a cookie cooling rack, then move the meat and rack together.
No touching or poking the meat this way.

Back