MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:47 AM   #1
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Default Can someone classify this tree?

So I"m pretty sure this is oak. Got it from a friend, The person that cut it said the only thing he cut down was oak. I was just curious to know if someone could tell me what it is. I've cooked with it and it was fine. I was just curious to get a 100% on it for the ****s'n'giggles :)

Last edited by blazinfire; 03-16-2017 at 02:33 PM..
blazinfire is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2015, 11:51 AM   #2
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

And those who run similar smokers as a Brinkman Trailmaster LE how big do you normally cut you splits? I've noticed if i split to big I have trouble keeping a decent fire going towards the end of the cook session

Old 09-09-2015, 12:01 PM   #3
Loeweb
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

looks like oak to me.
Loeweb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2015, 12:03 PM   #4
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Could be oak. Hard to tell by the photo.
I have a better time identifying oak by the grain, not the bark.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:09 PM   #5
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Well good news is Thanks to a good buddy of mine they pretty much gave it to me. This was taken after I've already split a decent stack. So where's the meat? I"m ready to smoke!!

Old 09-09-2015, 12:13 PM   #6
Bludawg

I'm in the oak camp I cut mine so they lay in the FB on the short dimension about 12" I guess and no bigger in Dia than a beer can

Old 09-09-2015, 12:18 PM   #7
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I'm in the oak camp I cut mine so they lay in the FB on the short dimension about 12" I guess and no bigger in Dia than a beer can
Ok now this makes me wonder. You've seen the brinkman trailmaster correct? would you burn your wood going from front to back, or long ways? You have the damper coming in from the side of the fire box! This might help me determine why I have trouble during the last leg of the cook.

Because All the wood laying here is cut to fit long ways. What would be the difference laying the wood short wise?

Old 09-09-2015, 12:18 PM   #8
krex1010
is One Chatty Farker

Looks like it could be white oak......also could be ash. Any leaves mixed in? If you take a close up of a split piece that would help identify it as oak

Old 09-09-2015, 12:41 PM   #9
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinfire View Post
Ok now this makes me wonder. You've seen the brinkman trailmaster correct? would you burn your wood going from front to back, or long ways? You have the damper coming in from the side of the fire box! This might help me determine why I have trouble during the last leg of the cook.

Because All the wood laying here is cut to fit long ways. What would be the difference laying the wood short wise?
Do you clean out the ash? As that little pan fills up the cool air to the base of the fire decreases and begins to stave the fire for clean air.
Small hot fire. You can see one of my splits preheating

Old 09-09-2015, 12:55 PM   #10
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Do you clean out the ash? As that little pan fills up the cool air to the base of the fire decreases and begins to stave the fire for clean air.
Small hot fire.
I have never dumped the ash pan while cooking. I figured I would empty it if it got full which by the end of the cook its all most full. I figured it was a good idea to leave that there because i still have trouble keeping a bed of coals after 4-5 hours into the cook. So I also figured it was necessary since coals would drop into the ash pan without being ash yet. I put expanded metal over the top of the grate that came with it. Helped but not much after long cooks

which also brought me to the question which way I should lay the wood into the fire. Because if I laid it short ways The coals probably would wanna stay on the grate instead of fall through! I'm still learning the pit. so I have to try every way possible. I've been cutting my splits about the size of the bottom rack on the cooker from front to back.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:10 PM   #11
Bludawg

Cut 'em tp fit the other direction and take out the expadex. You're restricting the air flow these pits need all the help they can get. It might not seem as though it is causing a restriction but trust me it is the intake damper is barely big enough to keep up with fires requirement for air. The longer you cook the less the coal bed you need once the steel is hot you only need enough to maintain temp. Think of it as cooking with a CI skillet once it's hot you cut back the fire to maintain the pans temp.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:14 PM   #12
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

So clean out the ash pan often, and burn the wood from front to back of the FB correct? Just making sure. I'll probably find a reason to cook on it in the next day or two just to try this out.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:23 PM   #13
gengle
Full Fledged Farker

White oak or ash. Leaves would help.
gengle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2015, 01:58 PM   #14
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinfire View Post
So clean out the ash pan often, and burn the wood from front to back of the FB correct? Just making sure. I'll probably find a reason to cook on it in the next day or two just to try this out.
I normally dump mine about 1/2 way through when the fire acts up, I put my wood in the box parallel to my johnson when I'm in front of the pit sabe

Old 09-09-2015, 03:07 PM   #15
MarkB2
Got rid of the matchlight.

It is ash, don't need any leaves!

Thanks from: --->