Lamb

chicagokp

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Cooked some lamb on Labor Day Monday. The leg was seasoned simply with garlic, rosemary, kosher salt and pepper.

D920C9E0-A2C6-402D-BB9A-BB67B1A7C0D5_zpskfvp4al5.jpg

Cooking indirect, apple for smoke.

FDF52C41-1566-4D6B-88AB-6768AF12C9EC_zps9yyjvoq3.jpg

Kettle ran around 375 for the cook, for 90 minutes or so. Maybe a touch more.

1E9A5F55-A507-4BD2-9A41-A62A8922309F_zps6jtdc1s2.jpg

C692D4D6-A52E-4058-B373-96D2E5487C1D_zpsu10hqkix.jpg

Plated up with a sauce of pan drippings, wine, flour, mushrooms, salt and pepper, some spuds and sprouts.

4B2F8AF8-76AE-4E31-A624-531F78511FC3_zpsc4rwesdw.jpg

BAE0B0A3-C557-4CDC-AA01-6349353FB438_zpsjyhcjirl.jpg

Looks amazing! I've never had lamb, my son says its great. That pic makes me want some

Wow, nice job on that Lamb, seasonings are classic perfection!!:thumb:

Can I have a cup of that gravy?? :clap2:

Wow, nice job on that Lamb, seasonings are classic perfection!!:thumb:

Can I have a cup of that gravy?? :clap2:

Yeah, that's what everyone at dinner said. It was superb. I also added some butter in there too. Next time I'll add a shot of cream too maybe.

Looks amazing! I've never had lamb, my son says its great. That pic makes me want some

That looks great. I keep telling my wife I want to do this. Maybe someday I will

I really enjoy lamb. Look for it after holiday's like Easter or late spring to get something on sale. Or the semi boneless leg at Sam's is not too spendy either.

Looks good!!
How do you know when its done? (IT, probe) Also is a rest period important with lamb?

Looks good!!
How do you know when its done? (IT, probe) Also is a rest period important with lamb?

For lamb, temp mostly, but that depends on what cut and how you are cooking. I overshot and took the leg to 140 internal, plus over-rested a bit. I was a touch past medium when I cut into it. Resting is important for large cuts of meat.

If you cook shanks though, cook it to tender. Same with lamb shoulder which you can pull. If you cook a rack, cook to medium rare. This is what I do though, and you may enjoy it differently. There are some great cooks by some of the Aussie Brethren (Buccs, Titch, Smokin Aussie) along with Phrasty from Jamaica. Definitely worth a search.

looks great from here! I'm drooling, thinking about when this year's lamb will be ready :becky:

Great looking cook.

For those who haven't had lamb is it because it's not freely available like brisket/boston butts etc are?

Over here in Ireland lambs legs are freely available in every butcher and supermarket, where as briskets etc would more or less have to be ordered in to ensure you get the required cut.

Great looking cook.

For those who haven't had lamb is it because it's not freely available like brisket/boston butts etc are?

Over here in Ireland lambs legs are freely available in every butcher and supermarket, where as briskets etc would more or less have to be ordered in to ensure you get the required cut.

Thanks.

Lamb tends to be more expensive in the US and much of it either comes from Australia or New Zealand. There are domestic producers, but they are not as common. Much like what you are alluding to regarding brisket and pork shoulders/butts in Ireland.

Where I live close to Chicago, you can get lamb is most grocery stores but, it is difficult to find when I visit family in southern Indiana.

Back