Got Wood?

Woody Butthrie

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Got my load of wood in yesterday. White and red oak mixture on left. Hickory and pecan on right. It was getting dark when we finished, but I still had to make a fire and cook something. Had some small flat iron steaks I purchased a couple of days ago. Cooking grate over coals and cook steaks. Boy. The pecan smells wonderful. Can't wait to do a long cook.

Attachments

• 20150903_193932.jpg
    20150903_193932.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 185
  • 20150903_203329.jpg
    20150903_203329.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 184
  • 20150903_203547.jpg
    20150903_203547.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 184
Lotsa good cookin wood right there. Bet you had a hard time finding the pecan up there in NC didn't you?

Lotsa good cookin wood right there. Bet you had a hard time finding the pecan up there in NC didn't you?

I got really lucky. I called the people just looking for oak and hickory. While talking with the lady and letting her know this was for cooking, she said "we have some pecan that's just now getting ready." I asked her to add some in. She is bringing another half a load of just the pecan Sunday. Couldn't resist getting some more.:-D

I got really lucky. I called the people just looking for oak and hickory. While talking with the lady and letting her know this was for cooking, she said "we have some pecan that's just now getting ready." I asked her to add some in. She is bringing another half a load of just the pecan Sunday. Couldn't resist getting some more.:-D
Pecan is some great smoking wood. You usually don't see much until you get into the pecan grove belt. Like from middle GA over to Texas. Great score!

Looking forward to reading about and seeing your cooks from all that fuel.
I'm about ready for another wood delivery. My supply is running too low.

That's a decent supply, Woody...
How much does pecan go for down by you? It's tough to find in Wisconsin...
I have tons of apple and hickory... need some cherry & pecan.
I joint not far from here that I've never been to before may have it, i'll trek there today to check it out...

Wow that looks nice. I have never been a stick burner and always wanted to play around. I went the other way and ended up on a pellet cooker. The closest I came to a stickburner was a Char Broil Bandera but it was the first unit and we still went mostly charcoal because that was the way we could easier maintain the fire...or at least thats what people told us. We moved to a Spicewine and never looked back. I know someday I must learn the ways of the stick or I can't call myself a pitmaster. I think from everything I have read here since I will go 0-60 pretty quick though.

I've heard that red oak burns hotter than white oak. Is that something you work your fire with or is the difference not discernible?

That's a decent supply, Woody...
How much does pecan go for down by you? It's tough to find in Wisconsin...
I have tons of apple and hickory... need some cherry & pecan.
I joint not far from here that I've never been to before may have it, i'll trek there today to check it out...

That load, which is a face cord, was $110. She said she had about 3/4 a load of pecan left that will be $75. I thought that was a very fair deal both ways. Would love to have some apple also for poultry. Love smoked turkey.

I've heard that red oak burns hotter than white oak. Is that something you work your fire with or is the difference not discernible?

The difference in heat is not enough for me to worry. The red oak can have a little sweeter flavor. I usually make a fire in the fire pit, and then move the coals to the smoker. This assures a nice blue smoke.

Back