MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:19 AM   #1
Cliff H.
is One Chatty Farker

Default Stacking wood in garage

I am about to stack up a bunch of pecan wood. Enough to last me a life time unless I get a stick burner. There is a beetle larva in all the pecan wood i have had in the past and I have no doubt that they will be in this huge pile of wood also.

There will be little piles of sawdust all thru the stack that will continue for a long time.

My concern is around stacking that much wood in my garage. If i don't stack it in the dry it will deteriorate within a few years. The bugs kinda keep to themselves in the wood but termites love pecan wood also.

Does anyone have any thoughts, warnings, do's or dont's that they can share from experience ?

thx

Triple 5 Competition BBQ

Formerly know as :

Metro Appliances and More Cooking Team
Cliff H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2015, 08:35 AM   #2
pmad
is One Chatty Farker

Leave the wood outside so it freezes over the winter.
Mid-January move to garage.
pmad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2015, 10:11 AM   #3
JohnnyB
is one Smokin' Farker

That guy ^^^

Great trick to use. Except, carpenter ants come out of hibernation when you bring it inside. Keep your eyes open for any activity, and (obviously) I wouldn't use any chemicals on it.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:47 AM   #4
Nutz4bbq
On the road to being a farker

Please don"t ever stack wood in or near your home any time of the year... unless your a termite!!
Nutz4bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-02-2015, 06:14 PM   #5
cheez59
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutz4bbq View Post
please don"t ever stack wood in or near your home any time of the year... Unless your a termite!!
^^^^^this^^^^^^^
Lone Star Grillz mini insulated cabinet.Lonestar Grillz 20x42 offset. Broil King Baron Gasser, Vortex and Slow & Sear Plus, Weber 26" Original Premium, Weber Smoky Joe, Cajun Fryer 8-1/2 & 4 Gallon, The Big Easy oil-less fryer, BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud, BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, Thermoworks Smoke, Maverick XR-50
cheez59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2015, 06:26 PM   #6
lankster35
Take a breath!

Yes, keep it outside it will last. Maybe that will give you a reason to cook more :O

Old 09-02-2015, 06:43 PM   #7
Joe Black
Babbling Farker

I wouldn't do it. Also, I'm sure your exterminator wouldn't like it either.
Joe Black is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2015, 07:09 PM   #8
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

I put 6 cord in the basement every fall after sitting outside all summer. Never had any issues other than the spiders out number all the other critters.
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2015, 07:57 PM   #9
cats49er
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Stacy Robertson

Where ever you put it be sure to get it off the ground 6/8 inches, use something other than wood to get it off ground.
cats49er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2015, 08:01 PM   #10
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

I got some Peachwood making that same sawdust. 2 years and freezes and heatwaves later it's still making sawdust. No Way No How I would stack it close to my house.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2015, 08:07 PM   #11
cheez59
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleking View Post
I put 6 cord in the basement every fall after sitting outside all summer. Never had any issues other than the spiders out number all the other critters.
There is a huge difference between the wood critters in Maine and anywhere in the south. Termites are very rare in Maine. They are a way of life in the south.
Lone Star Grillz mini insulated cabinet.Lonestar Grillz 20x42 offset. Broil King Baron Gasser, Vortex and Slow & Sear Plus, Weber 26" Original Premium, Weber Smoky Joe, Cajun Fryer 8-1/2 & 4 Gallon, The Big Easy oil-less fryer, BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud, BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, Thermoworks Smoke, Maverick XR-50
cheez59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2015, 09:08 PM   #12
krex1010
is One Chatty Farker

Raise the wood off the ground so air can flow underneath it, as long as it doesn't stay damp that wood should be fine for several years. Don't cover it either. No way I'm storing wood inside,for long periods of time, my firewood piles are all away from my house, termites, rodents, and all sorts off critters will find their way to that wood.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:16 PM   #13
dport7
is Blowin Smoke!

Any way you could build something outside, maybe out of pallets and a couple of pieces of tin for a roof.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:23 PM   #14
smokerpa
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah, don't be this guy. Long day at work. Drive an hour to get the last fruit wood within a two hour area. Get home late, but just in time to get to my daughters open house. Get home and unload the wood. Where? In the garage because I'm tired.

What was I thinking???

Then I walk upstairs and get a shower. Ready to go to bed and fall asleep forever. Suddenly it dawns on me, what the hell did I just do. Get dressed, go downstairs and take all the wood outside and stack it for the second time.

It was only a 1/4 cord of wood. Thought about getting a 1/2 cord of wood.
smokerpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2015, 11:00 PM   #15
Trailer Trash
is one Smokin' Farker

Hmmm. Good question. Living in Arizona with a large population of Carpenter Ants, Termites, Black Widows and (worst), Scorpions... my wife and I are very acquainted to these little ****s and their ways. I have a steel container with Pecan, Apple, Cherry wood, lump and briquettes stored. I dusted the entire area with diatomaceous earth (floor, walls and surrounding area). Diatomaceous Earth (very harmless stuff, completely organic and non-toxic) is like tiny glass chards that attach to the insect's exoskeleton ultimately dehydrating the insect to death. (it's a pleasurable process in my mind) Okay, I have never seen an insect problem BUTT, would I do this IN MY GARAGE or BASEMENT???... No, I wouldn't in my home but that's just me. Those little ****s creep me out!

Thanks from:--->