First Brisket cook!

I love these real time cooks! all be following all day to see the progress! im finalizing all my plans for this weekends cook this morning and gathering all my needed supplies... so I have food/bbq on my mind!

Nice looking cook you have going! I wish my Wednesday's started out like yours.

When you get to enjoy the end results at multiple points of the day, it keeps your head in the game. Ribs, Mmmmmm.......

Love filling the cooker - just makes sense to me... plenty of Q for the rest of the week.

When you get to enjoy the end results at multiple points of the day, it keeps your head in the game. Ribs, Mmmmmm.......

Exactly. Just extra motivation so the brisket turns out well! I normally would still be in bed haha

Way to start the day. :clap2: If I leave now I could be there in time to pull the brisket off. :p

Can someone answer a question for me! I'm going by the method bludawg sent me the other day cooking 275-325. He says to wrap in butcher paper at 4 hours. Well I found out u cant buy butcher paper at walmart. I'm wrapping in foil. do i still wrap at 4 hours since it will cook differently in foil?

You have a brown paper grocery sack??? Foil will work but it won't give the same final result.

You have a brown paper grocery sack??? Foil will work but it won't give the same final result.

Nah, they are in the trash if i did. well if this turns out well anyways then I'll make sure i buy some butcher paper from amazon or something for the next brisket. I forgot about it Until 1 a.m. last night Had to make a special trip for something to wrap with! I'll see what its like with foil vs butcher paper :D.

Whats the difference in final result? If it just effects the bark then I'll deal with it.

Nah, they are in the trash if i did. well if this turns out well anyways then I'll make sure i buy some butcher paper from amazon or something for the next brisket. I forgot about it Until 1 a.m. last night Had to make a special trip for something to wrap with! I'll see what its like with foil vs butcher paper :D.

Whats the difference in final result? If it just effects the bark then I'll deal with it.
When it comes of the pit open the foil and leave it alone until the IT is down in the 150's:thumb:

3 hours In

3 Hours in. Checking the ribs! Gonna let them go for another 20-30 before i wrap them. I assume i still have a long ways to go for the brisket! I moved everything to the front of the grill to take the picture. Sun is shining over the grill couldn't get a good shot. Also I don't spritz my ribs with anything. I normally Wrap at 3 hours in.

In the first picture I assume that where the line of fat meets the top of the meat is considered the split between the flat and the point correct?

Last edited:
That's your your cut line. You are in for a longer cook there is to much fat you didn't trim it out. All that fat extends the cook time as it keeps the heat off the meat.

That's your your cut line. You are in for a longer cook there is to much fat you didn't trim it out. All that fat extends the cook time as it keeps the heat off the meat.

Yeah I figured that would be the case. I realized that I left My good Knife set else where. So i was in a bind. i trimmed whatever I could off. I only seen one or two video's on how to trim it. Wasn't exactly sure how much to take off.

Main reason why there's ribs and a chuck roast on there :-D

Should i still wrap at 4 hours? Should i leave unwrapped for longer since there is alot of fat?

Thanks for the helpful info through the cook! I'm Taking notes through the entire process! For the record This is new territory for me. I'm no where near a profession cook Just got this smoker a month or so ago! but luckily I've got the basics down because of this site!

Last edited:
Wrap based on color, at this point, you will want that fat to render a lot more. Still, you're in good shape. I think your temp might be a bit low for Bludawg brisket, you should be seeing more color. Are you at 300F?

Wrap based on color, at this point, you will want that fat to render a lot more. Still, you're in good shape. I think your temp might be a bit low for Bludawg brisket, you should be seeing more color. Are you at 300F?

I've been running a solid 300-325F most of the morning. But thats with default temp gauage. but the brisket is in the center and its fairly accurate on the grate in that area from using a grate gauge when testing it out for the first few cooks! I haven't decided to get all technical and get gauges for everything :) It's worked pretty good so far. and If it cooks a little longer it gives me a chance to get out of doing something haha

I say I'm gonna check it in another hour with the ribs. the ribs will be wrapped for 2 hours.

Personally, at 300F, I wrap ribs for only 1 hour. The 3-2-1 method is really for 225F cooks.

Back