Mini WSM build question

allboy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I thinking about building a Mini from a SJG i have sitting around collecting dust. So this one has the two vent holes on the top sides of the lower bowl. Can I use this Weber, or do you need the vents on the bottom?

With all my recent reading about the SJG and SJS, the SJG is the choice for a mini WSM. And believe me when I say I read a lot.

Sure can, many use the SJG for the mini. I love mine big time

3" high expanded metal around the charcoal grate and it gets great airflow. Typically I burn my basket from one vent and let it burn toward the other.

i read that most use a Tamale steamer pot for the mid section but they are hard to find now.

There were a lot on Amazon, both aluminum and stainless.

both will work fine, and have their advantages and disadvantages... gold is good because the ash wont clog the intake holes since they are higher on the side... but some find they don't burn as good a silver because the air is not coming from under the charcoal... turned a stainless bowl upside down and drilled holes in it to help keep the holes from clogging.

my Brother In Law (that's where my profile name came from, BIL's BBQ) had a older silver lying around so I was going to build one for camping and for fun. looked around at tamale pots but found a few 15 gallon drums I decided to use instead and which I already owned. and I thought having more room would be nice!

I've done my seasoning burn but haven't cooked on it yet.

Imo -Forget the tamale pot and find a 15 gallon open top drum. You can still use the grate or even 2 if you like. Use a single PC of rebar,make a couple of hooks -take advantage of the height and hang full racks of ribs. Way better to me.

Go for it. Get the steamer pot and cut out the bottom. Drill holes and get stainless steel screws for the grate (or grates), add a thermometer, put a grate on the steamer ring, and put a clay saucer on it. Any handles, paint, etc. can be added however you like.

One thing I've found is that it takes some very hot coals and some time to get it going. As it approaches your goal temp, mess with the intake until it stabilizes.

Go for it. Get the steamer pot and cut out the bottom. Drill holes and get stainless steel screws for the grate (or grates), add a thermometer, put a grate on the steamer ring, and put a clay saucer on it. Any handles, paint, etc. can be added however you like.

One thing I've found is that it takes some very hot coals and some time to get it going. As it approaches your goal temp, mess with the intake until it stabilizes.

What's the clay saucer for?

Yea holy or nothing...I go back and forth but it's been out more then in lately actually.

I used the gold and love it. You can get a lot of meat on those little things. If you are not into building you can catch the 14.5 wsm on sale for around $150 in some Walmarts.

Ok, im confused. My Weber is 18.5. Is this the right size to build?

Ok, im confused. My Weber is 18.5. Is this the right size to build?

The jumbo joe is bigger and requires a much bigger and more expensive pot to make it a smoker. They call it a jimmy. If I had to choose only 1 it would be the Jimmy.

Do you have the Jumbo Joe then? If so, you might want to look around for something that will sit on it.

I have a couple of tamale pots that fit on the 14" Smokey Joe. My plan is to make a Mini for smoking and cut a slot for pizza as a guy on another forum did.

Back