Full size pans affect air flow in a Humphrey's?

shtrbc

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Humphrey's owners,
Will panning items in the top 1/3 of your cooker have any adverse affects on airflow in your cooker? Will this cause a bigger temp variance from top to bottom? I am cooking on a Pint and my question is specifically in regards to cooking 2 different meats at the same time at comps. I am considering the pork butts up top, in pans with grates. Then cooking the brisket below that on the grate. I don't want the pork butts dripping on the brisket below for comp stuff. I have noticed when the pint is packed full of a full case of butts, the top couple racks take on great color but the bottom racks are constantly being "pooped" on from above, so they never get great color. I end up rotating racks maybe 4 hours into the cook. Not a huge deal but just wondering what others have experienced. When my cooker is loaded to the hilt with a case of butts, there also seems to be a much bigger temp variance from top to bottom. I assume this is from the general lack of airflow caused by the cabinet being so full. Also, I use a Stoker with a 10 cfm fan on my Pint. Really love the Humphrey's, just some little things to work through. As always, really appreciate input from the Brethren.

why not cook them side by side so the drippings end up on the same meats. From the direction of the air flow in a humphrey's I am sure that you would see some flow issue if you blocked the grate on the shelf too much. But I would think as long as you have spacing between them you will see positive stacking. Now the color situation you speak of could be a number of things. Humphrey's stack into the chamber at the top and leave from the bottom. The location of the meats relative to this will help determine color as well. The top will see the first heat and smoke and thus will be affected as such. Just like placing your food towards/away from the firebox of a stickburner. Color and water go hand in hand as well. So the steam from below will affect the lower shelves more. There are so many thing right down to your rub and color. Since it is for a comp I would try to stay as close to your comfort zone as possible. The side by side seems your best option and switch their placement once or twice through the cook you can probably just move the shelves. Leave one of the racks out so you can slide the one you are moving first into that slot.

I have a Humphrey's Down East Beast and I have no issue with airflow around full size, or 2 half pans on the same shelf.

I am not sure about the size of the pint, but I think they have the same size shelves, and the beast is taller..

Madman,
Do you always run water in your pan? Have you ever tried running it without water in the pan? Is the bark and color the same from top to bottom? The bottom couple of shelves do seem like the meat is a bit more "steamed" than at the top on mine. The rub never really "sets" well on the bottom couple racks. And then there is the issue of stuff dripping from up above. Both ribs and butts tend to do the same thing. Also, do you lay ribs flat on the rack of your Beast, or do you use rib racks to stand them up? Thanks again for all the input.

Last edited:
Madman,
Do you always run water in your pan? Have you ever tried running it without water in the pan? Is the bark and color the same from top to bottom?

I always run the water pan with water. There is a dew degrees difference between the top and bottom shelves so there is a very slight difference in appearance.

The bottom couple of shelves do seem like the meat is a bit more "steamed" than at the top on mine. The rub never really "sets" well on the bottom couple racks. And then there is the issue of stuff dripping from up above. Both ribs and butts tend to do the same thing.

I guess the question to ask here is; do you have the drop-in water pan or the slide-in water pan? I have the drop-in water pan and the exhaust is directly above the water pan and any moisture escapes with the reverse flow of the smoker. As I said there is a slight difference in temperature from shelf to shelf and if the food is to be done at the same time, I will rotate the shelves of food halfway through the cook. If the serving is staggered in stages, I just leave the shelves alone. While it may not be necessary to rotate it gives me something to do and the smoker has no problem coming back to temperature in a minute or two.

No, I do not have any trouble with bark not setting on my lower shelves.

Another Humphrey user posted last year that he uses a full size stainless hotel pan cover to control moisture in his smaller smoker.

Also, do you lay ribs flat on the rack of your Beast, or do you use rib racks to stand them up? Thanks again for all the input.

If I am only cooking for family or cooking less than 12 racks of ribs, I will lay them flat on the shelves. If I am cooking for a larger group I use rib racks and stand the racks on end. Again with using the rib racks, I rotate shelving if all are served at the same time.

Back