MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:32 PM   #1
cayenne
is one Smokin' Farker

Question HIGH Heat Glove Recommendations?

Hello all!!

Well, I did my first cooking on my BGE XL....all I can say is, WOW!
:)

I was experimenting last night with different veggies and a grass fed ribeye....yum!

However, I found out the hard way, that my leather grill gloves I had were quite insufficient for the high heats that the BGE XL can generate.

I was changing out the plate setter and the grill grate back and forth, and I got a nasty burn on my right thumb, it is a bit blistered there today.
OUCH!!

Glad I'd had a few adult beverages last night, or guessing it would have hurt a bit worse initially.
:D

That being said, I'd read about getting Welding Gloves to handle things at high heat. I ran down to Lowe's this morning, and all they had were what appeared to be MIG Welding gloves, and from what I read, these aren't for handling the higher heats, like hot metals and stuff you get with a "stick welder".....

I got a pair to use of those as that they were better than what I had...but I want to get *REALLY* good high heat gloves.

I don't know anything about welding, so, not sure what to look for online for them.

I'm hoping some of you out there might could give me key words for searching, maybe some good brands and even better...links to what you think are the best and safest for handling very hot things like you deal with on a BGE ceramic cooker.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Links?

Thank you!!!

Cayenne

ps. doing a pork shoulder I marinated all last night...started with a Bobby Flay inspired marinade, but I added in some of the Redd's Wicked Mango drink I found recently to make it a bit more caribbean influenced. So far....should be good. More on that later.

c
cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2015, 02:36 PM   #2
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

I use these for foods - http://tuckersafety.com/products_steamgloves.htm

I just use welder gloves for hot grill parts.

You might have to do some research and experimentation to find what works for you.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-30-2015, 02:41 PM   #3
PatAttack

Check them out on amazon:

Or, if you have a welding supply company near you, they can be bought there. Somewhere like Airgas or National Welders.

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2015, 02:41 PM   #4
cayenne
is one Smokin' Farker

Exclamation But where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
I use these for foods - http://tuckersafety.com/products_steamgloves.htm

I just use welder gloves for hot grill parts.

You might have to do some research and experimentation to find what works for you.
I'm not so much concerned about food handling...I'm good with that I think...

But it is the subject of "Welders Gloves" I'm looking for....as I mentioned the only ones I could find at Lowe's were MIG welding gloves and they aren't really for handling HIGH heat metal surfaces as well as true "stick welding" type gloves.

However, I don't know what exactly to look for...are they called "Stick Welding Gloves"?

Also, where does one buy them? Preferrablly online I'd prefer.....

Thanks for the input tho...I may look into the steam glove you mentioned, but right now, I see a real need (blistered thumb) to get something that I can reach into the BGE and move out hot plate setters and fire hot grill grates, etc....

Thanks!!

cayenne

Old 08-30-2015, 02:44 PM   #5
cayenne
is one Smokin' Farker

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatAttack View Post
Check them out on amazon:

Amazon.com: high heat welding gloves

Or, if you have a welding supply company near you, they can be bought there. Somewhere like Airgas or National Welders.
Ooh..that looks interesting.

Hmm..one reviewer said that on first use..burned a hole in them.
:(

I did see these...says good up to 800F.:

Thoughts on these?

C

Old 08-30-2015, 02:48 PM   #6
PatAttack

These are good up to 1600°C

Or these:

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2015, 02:56 PM   #7
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

These are the best I have tried:

Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2015, 03:38 PM   #8
cayenne
is one Smokin' Farker

Smile Fantastic!!

Ok..these look like what I'm looking for.....

Ya'll have owned and used all these? If so, details on your thoughts about fit, comfort, flexibility and how well they work?

Again..thanks!!!

C

Old 08-30-2015, 03:40 PM   #9
cayenne
is one Smokin' Farker

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
The reviews look good on these...one exception, some have said that steam or moist heat gets through these pretty readily...

Have you ever found this to be the case?

TIA (Thanks in Advance),

cayenne

Old 08-30-2015, 03:58 PM   #10
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

And don't forget to burp. Both while drinking cold beverages and when opening a Kamado type cooker.
Built in Bull BBQ Gasser
Mini WSM
22.5" Weber OTS
22.5" OTG Blue
22.5 OTG
Anova Sous Vide
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2015, 04:02 PM   #11
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

Also get a cheap pair of leather gloves to use like a pot holder in addition to your other high heat gloves. You will find that it is more technique than expensive gloves.
Built in Bull BBQ Gasser
Mini WSM
22.5" Weber OTS
22.5" OTG Blue
22.5 OTG
Anova Sous Vide

Old 08-30-2015, 04:28 PM   #12
cayenne
is one Smokin' Farker

Thumbs up Good Advice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Junkie View Post
Also get a cheap pair of leather gloves to use like a pot holder in addition to your other high heat gloves. You will find that it is more technique than expensive gloves.
Ooh...good advice.

And yes, I'm trying to remember, especially at high temps, to *burp* the Egg before opening fully.

This is gonna be a great tool, but I just need to learn how the "beast" works.....

But good idea..I'll use the old leather gloves as pot holders while donning the welders gloves....any extra protection.

The burn didn't come from the heavy plate setter as I'd thought would be the danger..but from the wire grate...OUCH.

Oh well, not serious, but the blister is just a PITA today.

C

Old 08-30-2015, 04:35 PM   #13
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

I have a heavy cast iron grate in one of my Kamados so I fashioned a piece of 3/4" flat stock metal into a grill lifter/holder however I use it to handle all of my hot grill grates. You will learn the beasts personality in time with some cooks under your belt.
Built in Bull BBQ Gasser
Mini WSM
22.5" Weber OTS
22.5" OTG Blue
22.5 OTG
Anova Sous Vide

Old 08-30-2015, 04:43 PM   #14
cayenne
is one Smokin' Farker

Talking Cool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Junkie View Post
I have a heavy cast iron grate in one of my Kamados so I fashioned a piece of 3/4" flat stock metal into a grill lifter/holder however I use it to handle all of my hot grill grates. You will learn the beasts personality in time with some cooks under your belt.
Hmm..I need to look into that too, as that I plan to get some heavy duty cast iron grates for mine too.

Would you have a picture of your tool you fashioned you could post?

Thanks for the encouragement. Just gonna take some time....which means good grub to eat on with every "lesson".
:)

Thanks...man, this is a GREAT forum!!

C

Old 08-30-2015, 05:01 PM   #15
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayenne View Post
The reviews look good on these...one exception, some have said that steam or moist heat gets through these pretty readily...

Have you ever found this to be the case?

TIA (Thanks in Advance),

cayenne
So far I have exclusively used these to pick up a raging hot charcoal basket from the bottom of my Pit Barrel Cooker and place it in my Weber Kettle to extinguish the coals

Have tried several pairs of welding glove in the past. With a really cheap pair burned my hand before I could lift it more than a couple of feet. With a $30 pair I could feel the heat after just a few seconds.

With these new gloves have not felt one bit of heat. Could probably hold for more than 30 seconds if needed. I also saw the the reviews about them not working well with steam or if they get wet. I think that is a common complaint with cloth type gloves. Those with a silicon outer shelf most likely are what you need if your gloves are going to get wet. Good luck on your search.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bge, gloves, welding, welding gloves