MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  



Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2015, 02:27 PM   #1
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Harbormaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-14-06
Location: Wyocena/Pardeeville, WI
Default Serendipitous side by side by side briquette test

I cooked 150 lbs of pork butts yesterday into this morning for the 50th Annual United States Watermelon Speed Eating and Seed Spitting Championships (which will be held Saturday September 12th at beautiful Chandler Park in historic Pardeeville, WI) and for the boys' football team dinner.

I got a couple of partial bags of charcoal out from the deck cabinet and loaded up 4 WSMs. After getting the last 2 ready, I realized the first one was loaded with Stubbs, the second with Coshell, and the last two were loaded with Royal Oak Chefs Select.

Serendipitous briquette test!

My findings?

The Coshell WSM ran at 275 and seemed to have the longest lasting briquettes but the least smoke aroma. I was impressed with the burn time.

The Stubbs also ran at 275 or so, had the second longest lasting briquettes and a pleasing hardwood smoke aroma.

The ROCS WSMs stayed in the 260-265 range, had the best hardwood smoke aroma, but the briquettes were the fastest burning.

In my final appraisal, using price, availability, and overall performance I determined the winner to be the ROCS.

I liked the Coshell, but the nearest Lowes in 90 miles away and the regular price is pretty spendy. The 18 or 20 lb bags are small for my liking.

The Stubbs is great fuel and I like cooking with it. However it costs more and is less convenient for me to obtain. Also, it's not available in bigger bags.

The ROCS comes in 40 lb bags, I can order it on-line and have it shipped to store (Do It Best hardware) for free. It's about $22.00 for 40 lbs and the Do It Best is about 5 miles closer than Wal Mart. It smells great and performs pretty well.


__________________
Clark
My Boys: Joseph (EI); Andrew (EE); Daniel (EE)
My Toys: 10 WSMs (B, C, E, DH, DA, EZ, DZ, EO, DU, DR); 5 - 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettles; 2 - 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle; 4 WGAs (EZ, DE, N, B); 2 SJPs ( DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K);
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.


Old 08-30-2015, 02:29 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Join Date: 06-26-09
Location: sAn leAnDRo, CA
Default

Cool findings
__________________
[COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]me: I don't drink anymore

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 08-30-2015, 03:24 PM   #3
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

 
Diesel Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-23-13
Location: In the woods
Default

Thanks!!!

If Clint says it's so then it is
__________________
Help us raise funds to feed our Veterans and Homeless HERE


Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 08-30-2015, 03:36 PM   #4
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Join Date: 07-30-11
Location: Pemberton, New Jersey
Default

Thanks for the great review..... Awesome comparison..


Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post

I got a couple of partial bags of charcoal out from the deck cabinet and loaded up 4 WSMs. After getting the last 2 ready, I realized the first one was loaded with Stubbs, the second with Coshell, and the last two were loaded with Royal Oak Chefs Select.

Serendipitous briquette test!

My findings?

The Coshell WSM ran at 275 and seemed to have the longest lasting briquettes but the least smoke aroma. I was impressed with the burn time.

The Stubbs also ran at 275 or so, had the second longest lasting briquettes and a pleasing hardwood smoke aroma.

The ROCS WSMs stayed in the 260-265 range, had the best hardwood smoke aroma, but the briquettes were the fastest burning.

In my final appraisal, using price, availability, and overall performance I determined the winner to be the ROCS.

I liked the Coshell, but the nearest Lowes in 90 miles away and the regular price is pretty spendy. The 18 or 20 lb bags are small for my liking.

The Stubbs is great fuel and I like cooking with it. However it costs more and is less convenient for me to obtain. Also, it's not available in bigger bags.

The ROCS comes in 40 lb bags, I can order it on-line and have it shipped to store (Do It Best hardware) for free. It's about $22.00 for 40 lbs and the Do It Best is about 5 miles closer than Wal Mart. It smells great and performs pretty well.


I also love the burn time of Coshell, as well as easy ash removal still in briquette form. In late November thru January you can find most Lowes has Coshell briquettes for $0.99 to $$1.50 for an 18 - 20 pound bag... I clean out all the local stores or anywhere else I may travel.

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 08-30-2015, 08:32 PM   #5
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Harbormaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-14-06
Location: Wyocena/Pardeeville, WI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
In late November thru January you can find most Lowes has Coshell briquettes for $0.99 to $$1.50 for an 18 - 20 pound bag...
Thanks for the tip! I'll try to remember that.
__________________
Clark
My Boys: Joseph (EI); Andrew (EE); Daniel (EE)
My Toys: 10 WSMs (B, C, E, DH, DA, EZ, DZ, EO, DU, DR); 5 - 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettles; 2 - 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle; 4 WGAs (EZ, DE, N, B); 2 SJPs ( DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K);
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-30-2015, 08:40 PM   #6
STLBBQer
Take a breath!

 
Join Date: 01-28-14
Location: Apex, NC
Default

Thanks for the results. Pretty much confirms why I use Stubbs. I get Stubbs for $8.99 per 15 lb bag here and I can get all I need at my local Lowe's. Wouldn't give up the longer burn time over Royal Oak for a mere 5 cents per lb.
__________________
WEBER
26.75" OTG
Q2200
Jumbo Joe
WGA Charcoal

BGW Grand Slam
Pit Barrel Cooker
Blackstone 22" Griddle
PK Grill
STLBBQer is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 08-30-2015, 09:41 PM   #7
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Harbormaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-14-06
Location: Wyocena/Pardeeville, WI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBBQer View Post
Thanks for the results. Pretty much confirms why I use Stubbs. I get Stubbs for $8.99 per 15 lb bag here and I can get all I need at my local Lowe's. Wouldn't give up the longer burn time over Royal Oak for a mere 5 cents per lb.
I hear ya, and if I could choose between Stubbs and ROCS from the same source, I might go with Stubbs too.

But it's another 10 - 15 minute drive and it's Wal-Mart.
__________________
Clark
My Boys: Joseph (EI); Andrew (EE); Daniel (EE)
My Toys: 10 WSMs (B, C, E, DH, DA, EZ, DZ, EO, DU, DR); 5 - 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettles; 2 - 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle; 4 WGAs (EZ, DE, N, B); 2 SJPs ( DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K);
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 08-30-2015, 10:53 PM   #8
STLBBQer
Take a breath!

 
Join Date: 01-28-14
Location: Apex, NC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
I hear ya, and if I could choose between Stubbs and ROCS from the same source, I might go with Stubbs too.

But it's another 10 - 15 minute drive and it's Wal-Mart.
You know what's funny? Likewise, I can't get ROC anywhere around here that I've found. I want to try them, because they're universally praised. RO Lump is everywhere, but no briquettes. I really like Kingsford Competition too, but around here it's usually very high $$$.
__________________
WEBER
26.75" OTG
Q2200
Jumbo Joe
WGA Charcoal

BGW Grand Slam
Pit Barrel Cooker
Blackstone 22" Griddle
PK Grill
STLBBQer is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 08-30-2015, 11:38 PM   #9
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
gtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-16-10
Location: Culver City, CA
Default

Great post. How available something is figures greatly into my equation as well. I go to Trader Joe's every weekend, and there they have the charcoal I like at a decent price (store brand which is made by Rancher). It works out to a little over 50 cents a pound, which is what I figure is a pretty good price for briqs or lump. The coconut charcoal seems to be great for small cookers, like WGA's since you can pack a lot of btu's in a small area and have more real estate for cooking. Phubar and lots of other Dutch Pharkers roll that way Phor a good reason!
__________________
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
SPFP
Avatar by my son!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Forum Custom Search: Enter your Search text below. GOOGLE will search ONLY the BBQ Brethren Forum.
Custom search MAY not work(no display box) in some configurations of Internet Explorer. Please use compliant version of Firefox or Chrome.







All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts