MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-29-2015, 03:52 PM   #1
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Default Turkeys Against Cancer

Turkeys Against Cancer

For the past few years friends and members of the BBQ Brethren on Long Island have been preparing
brobdingnagian Thanksgiving meals for families dealing with breast cancer. We work with the Breast Cancer Coalition who chooses the families and delivers them to them. Last year we made over 2 dozen meals.

If you'd be interested in participating in this tradition in your own area, it would be an amazing way to help a family enjoy a holiday during some difficult times. Preparing a holiday meal is often beyond the capabilities of people going through treatment for cancer.

We started with a few friends that like to cook. Each person would cook a lot of one item, we would all gather at a central location and then pack out the food. 'Bob' would make 6 quarts of mashed potatoes, 'Amanda' and 'Tony' would each smoke 3 turkeys, 'Fred' would bake 6 pies, etc. The number of people that pitch in has grown every year, as has the amount that we cook for.

If this is something that you would be interested in doing, I'd be happy to help coordinate with a charity that's local to you and provide a blueprint for what we do (although it's pretty simple).

How amazing would it be if a couple of folks in Iowa could make two meals, some people in Florida made 5, we made 30 here in NY and so on? BBQ people are the most generous that I know and it would totally make my year to see that happen.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2015, 04:01 PM   #2
bonehead762
Full Fledged Farker

Ya know...you COULD just smoke/bbq the turkey breasts and the use the slogan..."Fighting Cancer - A breast for a breast". Or something like that.

I've done a lot of cycling for the NBCF and ACS. Always a good feeling to help out.

Old 08-29-2015, 10:11 PM   #3
Trailer Trash
is one Smokin' Farker

I like this program and would be interested helping in Arizona. I can certainly imagine that the Moms feel they could use some help giving family a Thanksgiving. Anyone with me on this for Arizona?

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-30-2015, 06:43 AM   #4
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'm in for the lower central Michigan area and know my friends would chip in too

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-30-2015, 03:07 PM   #5
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dave View Post
I'm in for the lower central Michigan area and know my friends would chip in too

That's great, Dave! Thanks.

Do you want to speak with your friends and see how many meals would be feasible?

When we started in NY the families got a turkey, gravy and a couple of side dishes (I think it may have been stuffing and potatoes). One person did all the stuffing, another did all the potatoes, etc.

If you pm me your zip code, I'll look into local chapters of the Breast Cancer Coalition near you.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2015, 03:16 PM   #6
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'll be getting with a few Brethren Sunday and we can discuss this.
Pm on it's way

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->