MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:12 PM   #1
walley_eye
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Master forge charcoal idea/input please

So a while back I got my Master Forge charcoal smoker and did the Brinkman mods to the charcoal pan, ball valve air intakes and weber top vent.

The problem I found is that using the minion method is that the charcoal would burn in the direction of the open air intake nipple or ball valve and I couldn't keep the temp where it needed to be.

So here's my new idea.

I'm thinking of using the Weber smokey Joe silver tuna can air intake under the charcoal grill and using the ball valve to maybe add more air in flow to try to keep the temp where it needs to be.

What are your thoughts and ideas please?

walley_eye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2015, 11:04 PM   #2
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

We're temps too high or too low? What temp were you trying to maintain? If trying for 225* but running hotter just go with it anywhere 300* n under. I think 275* is Best All Around Everything BBQ Temp.

If temps were too low try Briquetts instead of Lump. Hot usually burns a little Hotter but needs more airflow in my experiences.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:28 AM   #3
Bludawg

I have the same pit

I installed 3 3/4 close nipples and have a ball valve on one. You have to block the big hole in the bottom of the ash catcher I used an electrical box cover plate. Put some bolts through the coal pan to hold a charcoal grate for a Weber 18" kettle so your coals are not sitting in the ashes. I run mine at 275 -350 most of the time my start up is to burry 3-5 chunks of wood in a full pan and light up 20 briquettes once they are ashed over dump them on top and spread them out you will get an even burn. I run with my ball valve 2/3 open and 1 nipple open. I get about 10 hrs run time.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:19 AM   #4
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Like Blu mentions, cover the bottom hole, I used an elec. cover plate.

If you want to be able to smoke for 18hrs un-touched, cut out the bottom of your coal pan.

A Webber coal grate, some expanded metal, 3 or 4 (your choice) 2.5" bolts/nuts for legs to make a real coal basket.

Seal up the lid/barrel interface, you can use smaller fire pit rope and high temp RTV, this was all they had at the time at the hardware store.

You have your intake set up and should be good to go if you want to go this route. Just a suggestion.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2015, 03:50 AM   #5
creekwalker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I have the same pit

I installed 3 3/4 close nipples and have a ball valve on one. You have to block the big hole in the bottom of the ash catcher I used an electrical box cover plate. Put some bolts through the coal pan to hold a charcoal grate for a Weber 18" kettle so your coals are not sitting in the ashes. I run mine at 275 -350 most of the time my start up is to burry 3-5 chunks of wood in a full pan and light up 20 briquettes once they are ashed over dump them on top and spread them out you will get an even burn. I run with my ball valve 2/3 open and 1 nipple open. I get about 10 hrs run time.
I have the model pictured as well--however when I ordered it about 2 years ago from a Lowes in a neighboring state, it was a clearance item, being succeeded (at least at Lowes) by a Master Forge model that was only a little over 20 inches tall. (!) So I'm wondering, since it isn't apparent from OP's photo, if he has our model.

I installed 3 nipples with 3/4 inch conduits at the bottom sides, and covered the bottom intake with a large "decor" magnet [whatever that is] from Harbor Freight. Drilled 3 3/4 inch holes in the top, and put an oven rope on the lip of the dome to keep smoke from flowing out there, then simply used high heat aluminum tape for the other seams.

The tuna can sounds like an interesting idea. I put a tuna can with holes punched into it over the decor magnet in mine, in order to provide support for the piece of expanded metal that I set down into the bottom of the fire pan (having cut out the bottom of the pan)--just in case in might otherwise sag and need support. Don't suppose there would be any safety concerns with the OP's idea, as long as the smoker is sitting directly on a fireproof surface.
creekwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2015, 04:03 AM   #6
creekwalker
Full Fledged Farker

ebijack, what width is the Weber coal grate you used for your coal basket?
creekwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2015, 04:23 AM   #7
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekwalker View Post
ebijack, what width is the Weber coal grate you used for your coal basket?
That smoker is out on loan, but I believe it was the one for a Jumbo Joe weber. Just measure your aluminum coal pan bottom and get a grate that is close to that and you should be fine. The aluminum coal pan is easy to cut with tin snips. You need the top ring of it so the barrel still has something to sit/seal on and still lock to the bottom.
Hope that helps.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-29-2015, 04:38 AM   #8
ebijack
Babbling Farker

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=104545

Old 08-29-2015, 08:14 AM   #9
Bludawg

I'm not a fan of fiberglass rope around my meat. I used cotton close line rope on mine works just fine and available even at Walgreens IIRC a 50' hank was 2.00. I cut my Weber style exhaust damper from some scrap aluminum. My biggest expense was the the charcoal grates from Weber for 18" charcoal grills.

Old 08-29-2015, 03:30 PM   #10
walley_eye

I already did the charcoal pan cutout replacing it with the weber smokey Joe grill.

Today I took off the electrical placate covering the hole on the bottom and covered it with my tuna can with holes drilled in it so we will see how that works tomorrow.

I did try something interesting though. I put the smoker body on to of the weber smokey Joe gold and it fir daily well but was an exact fit. How do you think this might work?

[/URL]

[/URL]

Old 08-29-2015, 03:45 PM   #11
SmittyJonz

What's the issue you're having ?

Old 08-29-2015, 03:51 PM   #12
walley_eye

"The problem I found is that using the minion method is that the charcoal would burn in the direction of the open air intake nipple or ball valve and I couldn't keep the temp where it needed to be." around 220F.

Old 08-29-2015, 03:59 PM   #13
ebijack
Babbling Farker

I don't think you will be able to control your temps like that. But give it a go.

Old 08-29-2015, 05:23 PM   #14
Bludawg

That Idea is as useful as a screen door on a submarine. Stop fartin around GO here read it and do the mods as described. It's how I did mine with the exception of the intake mods you already have. What is so special about 220?? Let 'er rip and cook where it settles in, you keep fighting it to keep the temp down you will end up with a dirty fire and a creosote baste on the ribs. I don't cook below 300 no reason not to.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:49 PM   #15
walley_eye

Around 225 I have read is supposed to be ideal.

I did those mods except for the air intake on the bottom. I did mine on the sides and found if I didn't have all three open the coal would burn in the direction of the air hole and then go out using the minion method.

I'm trying to keep the coal burning more evenly by using the tuna tin with the air coming from right underneath the lit coal and not making a mess under the smoker.