Cattlemen's BBQ Sauce

BruceB

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Rest. Depot has Cattlemen's Kansas City Classic and Memphis Sweet BBQ Sauces on sale. I am cooking pulled pork for my nephews graduation party and thought maybe instead of Sweet Baby Rays I'd try something different. Problem is I've never tried Cattlemen's sauces and I'm looking for some help from those of you who might have. Which one, if either, would be good on pulled pork. Sauce will be on the side not on the meat. Thanks folks!

If you ever had a Macrib you have had Cattelmans. Up until about 10 yrs ago it was not available on the retail market it was only packed for commercial use. Back in 89 I was working in a joint in Jax Beach FL part time and it was the house BBQ sauce IRC we got it through Sysco in 5 gal jugs. I like it Head Country is pretty good also, then so is Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce made with SBR as the base.
Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce

This is a thinner sauce really meant for pulled pork.
- an outstanding recipe by professional chef "Chez" John Eddy of Topeka, KS. Somewhat similar to Blues Hog Tennessee Red in some ways

Ingredients

1 qt Cider Vinegar
12 oz Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce
⅓ Cup packed Brown Sugar
1 Tbsp Red Pepper Flakes
2 Tbsp Salt
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Celery Seed
2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
Juice of 1 Lemon
1 Tbsp Chipotle Powder
1 tsp Dry Mustard
1 Tbsp Onion Powder

Directions
Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes. Let cool, and bottle. Great with Carolina style pulled pork BBQ

think it ok, but not great. I would stick to the Ray's for now if you were just going to do one. I usually set out three with pulled pork. One hot homemade tomato based, One mild commercial tomato base and a homemade Carolina style vinegar sauce. It seems to go over very well. But really, do what you like and chances are the party guests will too.

I like the Cattlemen's Kansas City Classic. :thumb:

Had some cattlemen's last night and was way to sweet for me and the oulled pork. Not sure which one it was.

Cattlemen's is my choice for bottled sauce (when I can find it in a store, not so easy any more). At RD, I always buy the St. Louis Original, as it has much more of a vinegar tang than their other varieties, which I personally prefer

I used to be a fan of Sweet Baby Ray's original until I got hooked up with Stubbs. I now find that a lot of commercial sauces are way too sweet and thick. The Stubbs is a bit more tomato based instead of brown sugary sweet SBR. It doesn't overcarmelize easily on the grill and it is great on pulled pork

If you ever had a Macrib you have had Cattelmans. Up until about 10 yrs ago it was not available on the retail market it was only packed for commercial use. Back in 89 I was working in a joint in Jax Beach FL part time and it was the house BBQ sauce IRC we got it through Sysco in 5 gal jugs. I like it Head Country is pretty good also, then so is Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce made with SBR as the base.
Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce

This is a thinner sauce really meant for pulled pork.
- an outstanding recipe by professional chef "Chez" John Eddy of Topeka, KS. Somewhat similar to Blues Hog Tennessee Red in some ways

Ingredients

1 qt Cider Vinegar
12 oz Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce
⅓ Cup packed Brown Sugar
1 Tbsp Red Pepper Flakes
2 Tbsp Salt
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Celery Seed
2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
Juice of 1 Lemon
1 Tbsp Chipotle Powder
1 tsp Dry Mustard
1 Tbsp Onion Powder

Directions
Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes. Let cool, and bottle. Great with Carolina style pulled pork BBQ

I've seen this recipe before and wanted to try it, but we usually get SBR in a bigger bottle at Costco. What does 12 oz. of SBR come out to by volume? A couple cups or so, or am I way off?

Would be cool to find sauce with natural ingredients. High Fructose Syrup is avoided by many

When I have needed a large amount of sauce fast, Cattleman's has been the go to for me, I buy the KC version, then add vinegar to my taste. It is dependably popular with good flavor, if a tad too sweet.

Get one of each and mix them together!

If you feel like making one too, then Fat Johnny's is awesome as well (as stated by Bludawg)

Not a huge fan of sweet sauces. Pulled pork has a certain richness due to the fat. I prefer a sauce that is a bit more acidic as it seems to balance that richness.

My pulled pork sauce starts with sauteing onions, celery and garlic in butter. Then I add crushed tomatoes and about 1/2 to 2/3's as much vinegar. I also add some cane syrup, but not enough to *sweeten* it and a touch of mustard to give it a little tangyness. Next I season it to taste with salt, red, white and black pepper, paprika and chili powder, being careful to accent the base, but not overtake it. After it simmers for an hour, I push it through a strainer to breakup the vegetables then add that pulp back in.

Sorry I can't give you exact measurements. I don't measure anything. I'll taste it after I add the tomatoes, vinegar, syrup and mustard and adjust as needed. Then I add the spices and do the same thing. Once it's done, I'll thin it as needed with water. I shoot for a consistency that coats the meat, but doesn't really cover it.

I've seen this recipe before and wanted to try it, but we usually get SBR in a bigger bottle at Costco. What does 12 oz. of SBR come out to by volume? A couple cups or so, or am I way off?

1 1/2 cup

Bruce, since you like Sweet Baby Ray's I believe there's an excellent chance you'll like the KC Classic. Both thick, sweet, and tomato based.

Cattleman's carolina gold is my favorite mustard sauce, but beware because it's definitely a sweet sauce and a lot of people think of mustard sauces as vinegary. their original/base sauce is something that i've been a fan of for a while. when i was a kid my dad would get takeout wings from a bar for me and this was the sauce they used for their bbq wings and i loved it. as a wing sauce it's great, but i don't think i'd ever put it on any smoked meat that i make, but i like that it's nice and sweet and tomatoey, not a lot of molasses. as for their kansas city sauce, i worked in a fake bbq restaurant before that brought in precooked ribs and slathered them in cattleman's kansas city sauce, so needless to say that this sauce has been ruined for me and i feel like it's super generic.

Back