Thirdeye---Tortilla Pizza Crust???

JimT

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
A few weeks back, you mentioned using a flour tortilla for pizza crust when cooking directly on the grate. Could you expand on this a little? It sounds like just the ticket for an upcoming event I'm attending.

Do you use just the cheapies you can find in any grocery store? Does it work over direct heat on a kettle grill? You put the "pizza" directly on the grate?

You get the idea. Any info you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

JimT

In college I used to make pizzas on pitas. I would think that would be a lot easier to handle on the grill. Toast on one side, flip, add toppings and close cooker.

Tortillas work great, very thin & crisp. You can always add a pizza stone to the grill to make easier as they cook really fast.

JimT said:
A few weeks back, you mentioned using a flour tortilla for pizza crust when cooking directly on the grate. Could you expand on this a little? It sounds like just the ticket for an upcoming event I'm attending.
Do you use just the cheapies you can find in any grocery store? Does it work over direct heat on a kettle grill? You put the "pizza" directly on the grate? You get the idea. Any info you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, JimT

Well for tortilla pizza I don't cook direct on the grate, I use a pizza stone. Quesadillas can be cooked on the grate without the stone.

The stone keeps the tortilla from burning while the toppings melt. It works great and only take 5 or 6 minutes.

201a1460.jpg

Spray them with olive oil, and the key is not to load them up with sauce or too many toppings. The easy thing is, folks can build their own. Just lay a bunch of toppings out and let them go for it. Pre cook your meats as you only have time to crisp the tortilla and melt cheese.

I don't know what the tortilla selection is like at your markets, but in the flour ones, I think we have 3 different sizes and a couple of different thickness ones. Also a fat free one. The fat free ones crisp up faster but the regular ones are easier to control. I've never tried the burrito size, they seem to large.

Or you can try quesadilla style. You lay toppings on one half of a flour tortilla, fold the other side down and cook direct on the grate turning at least once during the cook. This allows the innards to melt. Then cut into wedges. You can do more at once if you do these. I serve these with salsa on the side to add as a topper. They don't necessarily have to have a mexican flair, the technique works will all kinds of fillings including breakfast quesadillas with scrambled eggs, crumbled sausage, cheese and hash browns.

Thanks everyone! Thirdeye, once again you pics are making me hungry. I just might have to "practice" before next weekend. :wink:

I'm an invited guest to the party, and as such have been demoted to "Assistant Pitmaster" (read: harass my buddy while he cooks for the group.) Since I'll have plenty of time on my hands, I thought I'd fire up a grill and play with these pizzas and (thanks to Thirdeye) quesadills!

ThirdEye,

That post put me over the top as your #1 Fan!
Your posts are informative, visual, entertaining, organized, and "spot on" for me!

I do not normally venture "off site" here. I have only so much time, interest, and energy available.

But, you have mastered the art of posting here and also maintaining a "world class" informative blog.
I find myself going to your site just to see--"What other is magic he working ?" :redface:

Well done my brother.

Thank you!

TIM

Jim, Tim

Thanks for the kind words. This is a great forum. On top of the common interests we all have, I think the casual atmosphere here allows the good side in all of us to come out.

Tamales, tortillas, quesadilla's. I nominate Thirdeye as the "King of south of the border Q".

Thirdeye, you are an inspiration to newbies!

This is incredible, I may just be "lookin' for wood", but I can tell you that my marriage life is even better than it was!!

sajones97 said:
Thirdeye, you are an inspiration to newbies!

This is incredible, I may just be "lookin' for wood", but I can tell you that my marriage life is even better than it was!!

Stop looking! You got your wood!:biggrin:

I suppose if you want a slightly thicker crust (which I don't prefer) you could use gordita tortillas. These however don't come in large diameters like the colossal flour tortillas you can get here. Great idea though - no more farking with pizza dough. Thanks again Third Eye.

It is also a great way to try out new ideas with toppings, different cheeses, etc. really easy and quick.

I too cast my vote for Thirdeye to Q kingdom status. Or at least professor status. Rookies like me reap huge benifits from his knowledge, and willingness to share it.

Many big mahalos to him and the other Bretheren legends that take time to answer all these questions.

Oddly enough, I'm getting more and more requests from family and friends for this style of q-ing. Word must be getting out or something.....

tommykendall said:
I suppose if you want a slightly thicker crust (which I don't prefer) you could use gordita tortillas. These however don't come in large diameters like the colossal flour tortillas you can get here. Great idea though - no more farking with pizza dough. Thanks again Third Eye.

Welcome back TK!

after trying Thirdeyes green chile. he is the man with a plan for south of the border Q..I also make a trip to your blog once a day to see whats new.. great stuff..

Back