source for buckboard bacon cure?

boatnut

is Blowin Smoke!
I went to Hi Mountain Jerky site to order some buckboard bacon cure. The cure is only 5 bucks but they want almost 10 to ship it. Rip off IMHO. Anyone know of a store that handles it? I know Gander Mountain handles some of there jerky cures but they dont handle the bacon cure. Do I have to bite the bullet?

You might have to.

Did you check Bass Pro or Cabelas? They may carry Hi Mountain. Cabelas also has there own brand of jerky cures. I don't remember if they have buckboard bacon cure.

Boat, that is why I usually order 3 or 4 boxes. If I remember right, the shipping is the same for 1 box or 3.

I end up using them or giving them away for people to try.

OK..i just bit the bullet and ordered a couple boxes of it along with some blue cheese dressing mix and some chipolte dip stuff. shippings the same but now it seems more reasonable :) Thanks guys

boatnut said:
OK..i just bit the bullet and ordered a couple boxes of it along with some blue cheese dressing mix and some chipolte dip stuff. shippings the same but now it seems more reasonable :) Thanks guys

Good deal.
That is what I do--just bump quantities till the shipping rises.

Did you know you can buy 1800 chopsticks for the same shipping $$ as 100? :redface: :redface:

You will like the cure, I hope. I know I do.

TIM

The_Kapn said:
Did you know you can buy 1800 chopsticks for the same shipping $$ as 100? :redface: :redface:

TIM

That predates me, but I get the gist of it. You're a card there Tim. BOT I usualy order 4 or 6 boxes of Buckboard Bacon cure at a time. If you know anyone that will take the time and effort to use it properly it is a valuable commodity. Next time I order I'll save some for the sauce trade. May be an opportunity to introduce a brother to a differerent technique that they may like.

might have to try that, JGH1204. I've used it before, but just on pork. If memory serves me, one box does like 25lbs of meat. I wanna try some on a pork loin to make "canadian bacon", maybe roll it in cornmeal like canadians do to make "pea meal bacon". probably wouldnt let it cure the whole ten days like a shoulder though.

boatnut said:
might have to try that, JGH1204. I've used it before, but just on pork. If memory serves me, one box does like 25lbs of meat. I wanna try some on a pork loin to make "canadian bacon", maybe roll it in cornmeal like canadians do to make "pea meal bacon". probably wouldnt let it cure the whole ten days like a shoulder though.

Hunt down that recent thread on Buckboard brisket, sounds like beef needs more soak time.

On pork, I use 9 or 10 days curing time on a 3 to 3-1/2 inch thick butt. About 8 days on a 2 to 2-1/2 inch thick butt. About 6 days on an average loin. About 5 days on a tenderloin. All with a 2 to 3 hour soak time.

I will be updating the buckboard brisket thread in about an hour. Just pulled the flat at 160 and have it wrapped in foil and a towel. Will have a midnight snack.

Bass Pro in Grapevine has Hi Mountain Jerky cures. Not sure which ones they carry though.

... out here in the wild west, Sportsmans Warehouse stocks a lot of Hi Mountain Bacon Cure.

Gander Mountain caries Hi Mountain and they could probably order what you need if they do not have on hand?

Back