New to Smoking - UDS Question

Dwain Lambrigger

Found some matches.
I have been smoking with a Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal Smoker for about a year now. I made most all the modifications I have read about here. 15 or so smokes and I am thinking about an upgrade.

I think a UDS would be a really good end all, be all smoker, on par with the WSM. Quick question. If I buy a drum (with or without a liner), can I have it sandblasted and avoid the burn I have been seeing all over youtube? If it's possible it sure would beat the extra work of burning then sanding.

Advice is appreciated! Thanks for your help.

The time you will spend burning and sanding is not worth it IMHO. Having a drum sandblasted or purchasing a new unlined one is the way to go.
Good luck,

Just buy a drum that is burned out already. I found a place here in denver that had them for $44. It makes the build a lot easier. Good luck.

I had mine blasted inside and out when I built it. For the $20 it cost me, I would not even think about burning it out.

Get a harbor freight torch flame thrower or burn out...cleanup is pretty easy. I have had sand blasted...for the outside because they were powder coating it.

Is the pbc crew still sleeping?

Hey Dwain,

I'd definitely go with the sandblasting. I'm in the process of making my second UDS. The first I tried to burn then use a wire attachment on my power drill to get it cleaned out. I had little success with the liner on the inside even with a second burn. I ended up finding a place that charged me $25 to sandblast it and that was that. Swore I'd never do it another way. Then I moved to Rhode Island and can't find any place that will do it for less than $60 so I'm back to using the power drill. I've had much better success this time, just extremely time consuming. I've been using a polycarbide abrasive wheel this time around and the liner is coming off fine. Though I do wish i had someone that would just sandblast it for $25!

I see you're in Gilbert, I used to live in Chandler the place I used to get my drum sandblasted is named Southwest Sandblasting and Painting just east of Arizona Ave on Germann. I'd give them a try! And just know I envy you right now!

Attachments

• 20150703_143506.jpg
    20150703_143506.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 59
  • 20150703_145705.jpg
    20150703_145705.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 59
Back