Live cook: 9# Butt with peach injection

Melissaredhead

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Good morning. I'm smoking a butt from a new (to me) butcher. I simmered one can of Goya Peach Nectar with about two tablespoons of butter and a dash of my rub. Let it slightly reduce and cool then injected last night around 11.
Got up at 4 :yawn: to start the fire and of course it farkin raining. :evil:

Slathered her up with yellow mustard, patted her down and finally got her on at 5:30.

Still playing with my new toy (igrill2) and place one probe near the blade and another near the money. I still don't 100% trust using this gadget but in my test runs it seems to be pretty spot on. Almost too much information lol.

All dressed up...

I'm also smoking my first fatty as an app. I couldn't decide between naked or bacon weave...I'm leaning toward the bacon. Great presentation and cmon. It's bacon.

A lot of people love naked fatties, I've never made one cuz it's too easy to wrap in bacon and bacon makes everything better!

I love to inject peach nectar into pork, they pair really well.

Keep us posted as your cook progresses...

My default injection has been apple juice, AC vinegar & rub but recently switched to cherry instead of apple juice.

Liking the idea of peach nectar and butter.

Prepping my first fatty.

It was much easier than I thought and looks pretty even.

What a cutie...

I wrapped it up to set up in the fridge until later.
Any last suggestions for smoking temp/time?

Ok so that was much faster than I expected. I didn't expect to pull her off until about 3 or 4. She was probing tender a little after 2! I threw her into a cooler and stuffed towels in all the crevices. I've never coolered a butt before. I going off what y'all do.
I took her off at 190 and by the time I had stuffed towels in the cooler she was at 195.
I want it to climb to 205. Y'all think an hour or more in a cooler? Like I said, I haven't coolered I usually leave it in foil and rest on the counter then pull. My "guests" (aka hubs golf buddies lol) will be here at 3:30. Will it make it??!

You love the sweet injections don't you?!? Can't wait to hear how it turns out! I am thinking I might have to try this on the next butt I do.

Ok so that was much faster than I expected. I didn't expect to pull her off until about 3 or 4. She was probing tender a little after 2! I threw her into a cooler and stuffed towels in all the crevices. I've never coolered a butt before. I going off what y'all do.
I took her off at 190 and by the time I had stuffed towels in the cooler she was at 195.
I want it to climb to 205. Y'all think an hour or more in a cooler? Like I said, I haven't coolered I usually leave it in foil and rest on the counter then pull. My "guests" (aka hubs golf buddies lol) will be here at 3:30. Will it make it??!
I've been wondering if you were still awake. I've never done a brisket, but butts stay hot quite a while toweled in a cooler.

Back