1st brisket on 22.5" Weber Kettle...Need Some Pointers

Roguejim

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I already purchased a small 9.5lb packer. I'm assuming the Minion method. Should I bank the coals to one side, or do the fuse method? Will I need to refuel at any point? How many hours will I get from either method? 250F sound about right? Thanks.

I always use the Ring of fire 2X2X1 light 12-15 briquettes and put 'em at one end with a piece of foil in the center of the coal grate. Bottom & top WFO will give you about 275 ish Cook Fat cap down. wrap in BP after 4 hrsand go to probe tender in the thickest part of the flat. You should have plenty of fuel to complete the cook.

Ya the ring of fire on longer kettle cooks is it, if you choose another way you will burn through far more fuel

I always use the Ring of fire 2X2X1 light 12-15 briquettes and put 'em at one end with a piece of foil in the center of the coal grate. Bottom & top WFO will give you about 275 ish Cook Fat cap down. wrap in BP after 4 hrsand go to probe tender in the thickest part of the flat. You should have plenty of fuel to complete the cook.

Sorry, but what is 2x,2x1, WFO, and BP?

Two rings of charcoal topped with two more rings topped with1 ring
Wide Farkin Open
Butcher Paper

Thanks, everyone! Will Aawa's method work on a pork butt? Also, Aawa doesn't say what weight packer he's smoking, that will be finished in 6 hours @ 300-325F. Will my 9.5lb-er take that long?

Last edited:
Anyone got pics of the 2x2x1 ring setup? My oldest boy just bought a 22.5 Weber to take to college next month. A slow cook setup would help him get some real food instead of burger and doggin' it for two semesters.

Thanks, everyone! Will Aawa's method work on a pork butt? Also, Aawa doesn't say what weight packer he's smoking, that will be finished in 6 hours @ 300-325F. Will my 9.5lb-er take that long?

Yes, that's a good way to do pork butt also.....
your size brisket likely will not take that much less time than Awaa's, even at a slightly lower temp......it still takes time to go thru the stages that these types of meat have to go thru.....get a temp that you can maintain, maybe even do a practice run with a pan of cold water on the grate to simulate the meat's coolness starting out.....

If say, the cooker will stay pretty stable @ 275, with 2x2 or 2x2x1 bottom vents half open, top vent ALWAYS ALL open...so the smoke doesn't stall.....then run there......if it runs comfortably at a little higher temp, go to Bludawg's instructions.....pretty straightforward.......
Biggest mistake I see (esp. on Kettles, but other cookers too) is trying to force the cooker to go lower temp or make it do something that's not quite a good fit for the conditions....
I can't tell you EXACTLY how to stack the fuel, how dry your wood chunks might be, what outside air temp & humidity at your location is or might be a a certain day, what particular charcoal you're using & if it's picked up a little moisture or not......

See, it's really not an exact science, it's more like golf.....play the ball where it lies......be as flexible as you can stand to be & try to trust the process enough to not lift the lid too often.....

Here's cooks in pretty rapid succession....first nite it rained unexpectedly.....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198925

Anyone got pics of the 2x2x1 ring setup? My oldest boy just bought a 22.5 Weber to take to college next month. A slow cook setup would help him get some real food instead of burger and doggin' it for two semesters.

Kelly, here's a setup for tri-tip & brisket point & also see the one above on pork that has some pics....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190049

MemorialsJuly2012006-2.jpg

3-6-2013Beef004.jpg

3-6-2013Beef005.jpg

You can be all neat & orderly or a little sloppy like me, just as long as there's good contact all down the line.....I sprinkle lump charcoal chips all along on the back edge of the row as burn insurance.....

Back