MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:28 PM   #121
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekwalker View Post
I'd like to see pictures of that some time. (It wouldn't have to be in this thread.) I'm thinking of getting a PBC but I'm also thinking of building a Jimmy. [And thinking is what I do best.]
Yes the build thread is in the sig... got pics of it grilling and searing somewhere but it's a little beast with that bottom air (sear) vent

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-21-2015, 01:45 AM   #122
creekwalker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
Yes the build thread is in the sig... got pics of it grilling and searing somewhere but it's a little beast with that bottom air (sear) vent
Yes, thanks, I've bookmarked the thread. There are no pics of the hanging modification however.
creekwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2015, 08:09 AM   #123
Thingfish
is One Chatty Farker

A tip for those cooking ribs on the PBC - the PBC hooks are great for removing the membrane on racks of ribs. Just ease the point under the membrane in the middle of the rack, grab the hook like a handle and work it back and forth along the rack to loosen the membrane. No need to dirty a knife!
Thermoworks Smoke, Red "Backlit" Thermopen, Red ChefAlarm, Red Thermopop
Thingfish is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 05-21-2015, 08:35 AM   #124
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekwalker View Post
Yes, thanks, I've bookmarked the thread. There are no pics of the hanging modification however.
Yea that was long before i did it. Just take a cooking grate, use a cheap one if you can and clip out the grill bars with a bolt cutter (is what i used) and leave the ones holding the handles on... 3 on each side. Rebar lays across ...simple as that.

I am getting a 18" craycort for the Jimmy so i can grate grill cook and hang at the same time. Those Craycort grates have intrigued me for a while anyway.

Most of the time i'm using my roti for about everything because it makes the best product but this craycort thing will be nice to have when going somewhere and don't want to drag my big roti drum with me.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?5285...WSM-Experiment

Now tell me those bacon wrapped things don't look scrumptious!! Now I typically run the jimmy way way hotter than this guy did 350 average...higher for chicken so I know the grates will work better in the jimmy.... The hotter for cast iron the better

Sorry for the temporary hijack Andrew.

Last edited by Fwismoker; 05-21-2015 at 09:01 AM..

Old 05-21-2015, 08:45 AM   #125
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
A tip for those cooking ribs on the PBC - the PBC hooks are great for removing the membrane on racks of ribs. Just ease the point under the membrane in the middle of the rack, grab the hook like a handle and work it back and forth along the rack to loosen the membrane. No need to dirty a knife!
Thanks for the tip.Will give that a try this afternoon.My son is visiting from Nashville this weekend and we plan on doing several cooks.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #126
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
Thanks for the tip.Will give that a try this afternoon.My son is visiting from Nashville this weekend and we plan on doing several cooks.
Post some pics!
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2015, 09:21 AM   #127
Fwismoker

I used to pull the membrane now i score the membrane diagonal in a criss cross and rub the ribbies with a little olive oil before the rub. Now i haven't done this with hanging but have with grate and roti cooks and there is no sign of the membrane...it be gone. Just something to consider.

Here's one of my rib cooks from the bone side and bones just fall out.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:58 AM   #128
Bob C Cue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClarke44 View Post
Post some pics!
Will do. Hoping for nice weather.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast

Old 05-21-2015, 10:02 AM   #129
Bob C Cue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
I used to pull the membrane now i score the membrane diagonal in a criss cross and rub the ribbies with a little olive oil before the rub. Now i haven't done this with hanging but have with grate and roti cooks and there is no sign of the membrane...it be gone. Just something to consider.

Here's one of my rib cooks from the bone side and bones just fall out.

I have used the scoring method at times when I've had trouble removing the membrane. But willing to give the hook a chance to show its multi-tasking skills
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Old 05-21-2015, 10:15 AM   #130
Fwismoker

I feel ya just throwing out a alternative. Some and myself included feel leaving the membrane on helps the cooking process and leaves you with more moist ribs.

... plus I don't worry about dirtying a knife since I use it to slice the ribs anyway.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:32 PM   #131
Bob C Cue

Quote:
You are a genius. It worked great. After a got a good section of the membrane pulled up I used paper towels to get a good grip and and it pulled right off. Best method I have tried yet. Thanks,
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Old 05-21-2015, 04:39 PM   #132
SGH
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Brother that is a great idea. Going to give that a try tomorrow. Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:54 PM   #133
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Looks like I'll be giving it a try Saturday as well! Thanks for the tip!
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2015, 06:02 PM   #134
Bob C Cue

Ron L has updated the Chicago area Bash section with the following:

"Just an update...

I tore a ligament in my right wrist and need surgery so I'll be spending the summer in a cast and then brace. I am still planning on being at this gathering, but I'll have to see how I am doing at the time. If I can't make it I will make sure that someone onsite has the permit just in case.

Also, some of the guys have asked to join us and hold a fun event around barrel-style cookers...

So...

Announcing the 1st ever BBQ BRETHREN Barrel Cookoff !!!

As part of the 2015 Chicago Area Summer Gathering some of the gang will be bringing their barrel or drum-style cookers (UDS, PBC, Mini, etc) and will be cooking chicken wings to share with the crowd!

Come on out and joins us! Lets see your barrel or drum and cook some wings to share! We may even convince the group to pick a winner!

Barrel or Drum optional All Brethren are welcome!"

Let's all wish Ron a speedy recovery and please sign up for the Bash if you can make it and let's cook some wings.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...=207649&page=2
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:59 PM   #135
Bob C Cue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClarke44 View Post
Post some pics!
OK hear are my pics from the new PBC's maiden voyage. Bonus photo of some baguettes I made today.

Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it