First smoke in custom built pellet

Jsnow

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Maiden smoke yesterday. Cooked 24 Boston butts 222 lbs total. The smoke daddy pellet assembly that I put on it preformed great.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 165
Wow that be a lot of pork!

I'm sure Dennis would be proud

Looks great! Glad the maiden voyage was successful. You must have had confidence to load it up like that.

Outside of the smoker

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 103
This picture is taken during start up. Takes about 15 minutes to level out then it just has a very light smoke. All the butts came out great last night. Start to finish took 13.5 hours and I turned it down for a few hours why I ran to town just so I wouldn't have any problems. 2 weeks from now I will be doing a couple hundred pounds more of butts.

Someone asked earlier for how it was built. It was a 1950s commercial Amana freezer. I gutted it then insulated it with 700 degree k-wool insulation. Fabricated a carbon steel box slid it in from the back. Added the Smoke Daddy pellet smoker and painted it with Sherwin Williams 1200 degree industrial paint. Installed high temp oven lights inside up top. Mounted the switch on the smoke daddy. All the shelves are non stick cookie cooling racks from Amazon. They they fit in the dishwasher. There are 4 removable 3/4" rods with 10 hooks each in the top for hanging summer sausage.

I saw a post earlier of you working on that beauty! Outstanding cooker and great capacity. I was concerned about the pellet smoke generator handling the capacity but with the insulation it sure looks like it can handle that with no problem!!! Love it. It gets my vote for coolest home built I've seen this year.

That thing is awesome!! I'm working on a 1940's fridge with kind of the same idea. Great job!!

Back