Finally got myself a kettle (old style kettle)

RolandFinland

Reaction score
I've been making do with my 18.5" WSM for years as an improvised charcoal grill but last night I found a good deal on a 22.5" Weber kettle so I finally got one.

Now it's apparently an odd beast, called the Weber Bar-B-Kettle here and it doesn't have the one touch system but three vents instead. I did some googling on it and apparently it's an old style Weber that they've started selling here in Europe. I thought that was kinda interesting that they've resurrected the old model here.

I don't know if its available on the US market or not, but I read someone say he'd love to have the old style. I assume it has it's advantages over the one-touch in some way?

No pictures yet as it's still unpacked, hope to have it up and running today though after work!

Yea we lovingly refer to those as "daisy wheel" kettles.

It could be said that those "three wheelers" have a bit more control when it comes to venting. Less convenient when it comes to cleaning though.

Yep they´re sold here in Sweden too as a cheaper alternative to the One-Touch kettles. Only in a few supermarkets though.

They aren't available in the States new, but I score them off CL whenever I can.
I prefer the 3 wheelers to the OneTouchs.

The daisy wheel allows the use of ATC setups like the IQ110 right? Just hook it up to one of the vents and close off the others. I don;t think you can use it on one touch kettles.

They aren't available in the States new, but I score them off CL whenever I can.
I prefer the 3 wheelers to the OneTouchs.

Yep, they're magical !!!!

My best smokes are done on that style......didn't know they made any recently !!!!

They will grill at higher heat just fine also !!!!

great pickup !!!!

I have two daisy wheel kettles. They are great for low heat cooks. As for cleanup, cut the bottom off a plastic bottle to make a flexible scoop.
Ashcleaning_zpse274425d.jpg

Well I assembled it after work today and here it is on my back porch along with the WSM, everything in my yard is still a bit of a mess because we just built the house and everything is still unfinished:
17201627667_e66018099a_b.jpg

For it's first cook I cooked the most finnish grill food I can think of, namely sausages (I like them well done, when they go pop you know you're doing it right):
17221506520_6d800cea4c_b.jpg

Yea !!!

I bid you much luck & skill & many years of great service from your kettle !!!!

Congrats!

My first kettle was a used 22.5" with daisy wheels. the sides rusted through, but I have another used daisy wheel kettle waiting to be fixed up. I much prefer the wheels to the one touch system but they're both great versatile grills.

Enjoy! And welcome, Suomi brother!

Holy Finland! Nice Sausages!
The 3 wheeler is really nice for smoking, close off 2, barely crack one and you can get down to 170 f, over time. Good for Summer Sausage or BACON!
I have 2, they are smoking machines.
I made a sheet pan baffle, keep the coals between the one barely open daisy wheel.
Nice grill / smoker!

Congrats! Had no clue weber still made those. pretty cool that they do
Not in the US, though.
Same as they offer a great Kebab system in Germany, but not in the US.
It's Mangal. Frustrating, I have been on the phone with them.
No luck.

Not in the US, though.
Same as they offer a great Kebab system in Germany, but not in the US.
It's Mangal. Frustrating, I have been on the phone with them.
No luck.

Yep, never (probably) will there be any luck convincing them to give up the goods.....

If you really want to cry, Gargle up "Manturion Griddle" from Weber South Africa.....things a beast.....have seen precisely ONE in the US from people who moved here & sold their kettle & griddle.....

Back