Beef ribs done right

Rag

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
After reading several postings on beef ribs, I tried them again.
Past attempts were less than stellar with too much fat to work around and on the greasy side.
Following other's methods I cooked them at 250*ish uncovered naked on the grate for 7 hours. Half way McCormick's steak rub was added.
They came out perfect with all fat rendered and the meat juicy, tender and flavorful.
I'm not sure I would use McCormick's again. May try saly and heavy coarse peper.
Also made sure I used the "beef back" ribs; not short, or English, or other cuts.
A great break from pork.

I'm a porkster,but congrats. Sounds like you figured it out. :thumb:

My past attempt resulted in the same result as your first atempts. Never tried again. So the trick is cooking longer at a bit lower temp. Thanks !!

I cooked some Friday. Had them on the smoker for 4 hours then they went another two in the stove until they were tender.

The thing I see is that you can't determine " done-ness" by time. Whatever temp you use, they are done when they are done. I cook beef ribs at around 250 deg for at least 5 hours, then insert a tooth pick to see is it goes in and out easily. If not, they are not done. Even then, if there is a lot of fat in the cut of meat, you eat around it, it doesn't matter what cut of meat you cook. You aim for the meat to be what you want, not the fat.

Beef ribs are one of my favorites. Glad to here that you nailed them. Here is some that I cooked in my Shirley warmer box at 295 degrees for the duration. Nothing but salt and pepper for the rub. No wrap, no sauce. Turned out pretty good I thought. In my opinion, they cook just as good at 295 as they do at 225. The only difference that I can see is I get to eat them much sooner at 295!!

Last edited:
Sounds like a great success. Congrat! Beef ribs are my favorite. Slathered in bacon drippings and sprinkled with salt and pepper.

• Thanks
Reactions: SGH
Beef ribs took me the most tries, but i like em now

^^^^^ Bovine Bold is very good on them. I like Montreal steak also, on steak!

Beef ribs are my favorite thing to smoke. I have a hard time ever finding racks that have a lot of meat on them but my local King Kullen sells individually sliced beef ribs with a bunch of meat on them. As far as rendering the fat, I've found that a 3-2-1 or some variation of that yields great results, but I have also let it ride and cooked them naked, Either way, back ribs are like brisket point on a bone. Juicy, tender and smokey!

Back