• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cheesy Corny Bread

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I’ve made some bread somewhat like this before but I was trying for a different flavor profile. (It had onion and diced Hatch chili’s) Well this time I was going for more of a sweet cornbread profile. (Something like the sweet corn cakes you get at a Mexican restaurant)
Here are the ingredients I used:

2 boxes of Jiffy Corn Muffin mix
2 eggs
1 cup of butter milk
1 - 15 oz. can of corn (Drained)
½ tsp. salt
¼ cup of oil. (Most recipes call for corn oil but all I had was Canola)
¼ cup of brown sugar
1 cup of Mexican blend cheese of Costco
Whipped the salt, eggs, buttermilk and oil together.

Add that plus the corn to the cornbread mix and mix together.

Now add the cheese, mix together and then the sugar and mix that.

Add 2 tbsp. of oil to C.I. skillet

add the mixture to it and place it on the kamado for in-direct cooking. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

Here are the results.

It got a little overdone as I didn’t remove it right after the alarm went off. It was on for another 6 minutes and that was just a little too much. The taste was still good but the color was a little off from what I wanted. It wasn’t near as sweet as the sweet corn cakes so I’ll add half a cup of sugar next time and see if that’s enough.

Last edited:
very cool idea - the onle difference I do at home is butter instead of oil in the CI - I go for a brown butter effect. And the sugar is needed, that size batch I do just a 1/4 cup.

We're going to get together with some friends so I just made this again. I actually reduced the time by 2 minutes and here is what it looks like when you take it out on time.

Man that looks great! Great for sopping up baked beans!
This has both cheese and corn in it so it is a little denser that regular corn bread. That being said it went great with the Red Beans & Rice they had at our friends house. Everyone loved it.

Back