1800's Old School Barbecue

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Long time no see, brethren! I thought I would update you on the latest research of old Virginia Barbecue. Here is a pic of a pork butt cooked the way pork barbecue has been barbecued in Virginia for hundreds of years. It's an authentic old Virginia barbecue pork butt 'with just enough of the brown' just as the old time Virginians used to describe when talking about Virginia barbecue in the early 1800s. According to all early sources, Virginia barbecue was brown in color. That means they didn't coat the meat with candy colors before barbecuing it like the people in Kansas City do nowadays. They preferred to let the smoke and heat and meat throw a party and create the most delicious, natural bark on the meat that can be created.

Also, I include a pic of a barbecue sauce based upon the barbecue recipes used by Supreme Court Chief Justice John Marshall of Richmond, Virginia from the late 1700s to the early 1800s. The recipe was probably concocted by his manservant (enslaved) named Japser Crouch Therefore, I call the sauce "Jasper Sauce" and it's delicious. Anyway, here is some BBQ pron I thought some of you might enjoy.

Jasper%20Crouch%20Sauce_zpsj9s5ugl8.png

VA%20BBQ%201_zpsismehzjf.png

VA%20BBQ%202_zpsa33hygo8.png

It's very similar to Shack sauce with a couple of mods.

That looks real good Bo! Good to see a post from you again. If memory serves, you were working on a book, how's that coming along?

KC

Boshizzle,

I always enjoy your posts referencing the "old school" ways of BBQ.

The pork shown here just makes one drool... and the Jasper Sauce looks just awesome..

Looks awesome... Care to share the Jasper Sauce recipe? My sauce I make is a Western Carolina style sauce and that stuff looks to be right up my alley...

What he said. I always like mot try a new sauce, especially if it has some history.

I used a Chargriller Akorn to barbecue it.

Well that is great! I'm actually putting together my Akorn tomorrow finally!! Now I'm even more excited. You defintely got the technique down on that cooker man. That sauce looks great as well.

Fascinating! I love history, and now you have opened a new door, BBQ history!! Fine looking results there.

That looks real good Bo! Good to see a post from you again. If memory serves, you were working on a book, how's that coming along?

KC

It's coming along slowly. I suppose the good news at this point is that what I have written so far is being reviewed by a very prominent barbecue historian and also by an expert in Colonial Chesapeake Virginia.

It's been interesting to hear their comments as my take on barbecue history deviates quite a bit in some cases from standard barbecue history "dogma." It's a new and different way of thinking about American barbecue history but it's taking some time to finish the writing. I am putting the finishing touches on the draft of chapter 6 which has turned out to be well over 25,000 words with 157 citations. Once the drafts are complete I still have to find a good editor to help polish them up.

Back