MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:33 PM   #1
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Cooking for Prom

Some of y'all may remember my son asked me to cook for his first date a couple of years ago (Homecoming, detailed in this thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=172503).

He has a date for Prom this weekend and told the girl who asked him that he would rather not go out to dinner if I didn't cook for them. The young lady (not a steady girlfriend or anything, just a friend) thought about it and decided she liked the idea. Joe asked a buddy of his if he wanted to bring his date for dinner too. So, I'll be cooking for four high school juniors Saturday night. (Yeah, we've kinda started a trend and some of the kids really like doing this. I'm sure the fact that it doesn't cost anyone anything helps, but the SoDT and I really enjoy doing it. It's pretty cool.)

I walked around the grocery store at lunch to get an idea of what to make, and I came up with the following. Let me know your thoughts.

First Course:
Romaine Lettuce Salad with egg, croutons, tomato, and red onion tossed with a creamy Caesar dressing.

Second Course:
Cream of Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower soup.

Main Course:
Choice of Grilled Sesame Ginger Marinated Chicken Breast or Bacon Wrapped Filet Mignon. Baked Potato with Toppings and Grilled Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Spears.

Desert:
Fresh Berry Compote over Pound Cake topped with Whipped Cream.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2015, 01:45 PM   #2
pmad
is One Chatty Farker

Way to go.
I'd replace the soup with a pasta.
Remember, they are going to be dressed formally.
Soup and that dessert may be messy.
pmad is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-07-2015, 01:52 PM   #3
Fat Cap
Full Fledged Farker

Mind if me and my Prom date/wife crash the party? Sounds awesome!

Old 04-07-2015, 01:52 PM   #4
EricD
is One Chatty Farker

Sounds pretty good! I'd go with the bacon wrapped filet, if I had my choice.
I also second the 'messy' factor when dressed up.
EricD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2015, 02:05 PM   #5
aawa
Babbling Farker

First thought. If they choose bacon wrapped filet, do you think the bacon wrapped asparagus would be doubling up on the flavor, so it would make everything taste like bacon?

I would do maybe a ginger, garlic soy sauteed asparagus (or green beans/snow peas, etc) Just mince some ginger and garlic. Sweat them down and add the veggies, then add some soy sauce and allow to sautee till veggies are tender. This would go really well with the sesame ginger marinaded chicken really well and compliment the steak.

Then with 4 courses. Salad, Soup, Entree do you think that the dessert might be too heavy with the pound cake? They are going to be going to dance the night away, so keep it light to help them not get fat man syndrome (aka the itis, aka sleepy) after dinner.

Maybe just a simple homemade whipped or clotted cream with mixed berries masarated in lemon juice and sugar. This nice light dessert will keep them feeling fresh vs heavy and bogged down.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:37 PM   #6
smokeacholic
Full Fledged Farker

That all sounds fantastic to me. Also a memory will be made.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:03 PM   #7
Harbormaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
First thought. If they choose bacon wrapped filet, do you think the bacon wrapped asparagus would be doubling up on the flavor, so it would make everything taste like bacon?
The bacon on the filet may come off. My son raved about the grilled bacon wrapped asparagus.

Quote:
I would do maybe a ginger, garlic soy sauteed asparagus (or green beans/snow peas, etc) Just mince some ginger and garlic. Sweat them down and add the veggies, then add some soy sauce and allow to sautee till veggies are tender. This would go really well with the sesame ginger marinaded chicken really well and compliment the steak.
That's an option.

Quote:
do you think that the dessert might be too heavy with the pound cake?
I'll keep the portions relatively small. Maybe compote was a bad word to use. I was thinking fresh berries macerated in sugar and lemon juice.

As far as the soup being messy, I did a cream of smoked butternut squash soup for the kids a couple of years ago and it wasn't an issue.
Brinkman Cimmaron.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:08 PM   #8
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

I remember when you did it before and it went really well. This is really nice of you and the meal that they are getting will be better than going out I will be happy to help with any left overs
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2015, 06:34 AM   #9
Harbormaster

Thanks George.
I found out last night most of the other couples are going to Olive Garden.
Seriously?
I know some of these kids may think it's weird to bring your prom date to mom and dad's for dinner, but if the other choice is Olive Garden, it's a no-brainer.
Brinkman Cimmaron.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:52 AM   #10
aawa
Babbling Farker

Dinner at the OG vs Wyocena Yacht Club. I'll bring my date to the WYC!

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-08-2015, 11:47 PM   #11
zane2015
On the road to being a farker

Sounds fantastic, and you're a hands on great parent for making prom special for them. The only thing I will emphasize is not doubling up on the bacon wraps. If he's fond of the wrapped veg, do that. Fillet can stand on its own, with perhaps my favorite, a bearnaise sauce. If there was a fish fan, I might do a cracked peppercorn seared tuna. Either way, its a win win for all of you. Those are permanent memories!! Photo the cook this time.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:53 AM   #12
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post

Clark, I've done Steve Raichlen's Sesame Grilled Asparagus before and it's pretty stinkin good. If you're thinking of going with the soy/sesame asparagus, you may try that.

Overall, it sounds like a delicious dinner and a VERY cool thing to do. I'm sure it'll be as good or better than any meal that they'd otherwise pay a lot of money for. Well played sir!

Old 04-09-2015, 11:30 AM   #13
nmeyer414
is one Smokin' Farker

sounds like a great kid you have there. if he is really wanting to impress his date, why not have him being the one doing the cooking and get him started off early with the knowledge?

Old 04-09-2015, 01:53 PM   #14
snapper-G
Full Fledged Farker

There is no comparison of what you're describing and Olive Garden. If Wisconsin wasn't so far away I'd pop in with my date!
snapper-G is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2015, 02:36 PM   #15
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

His date will be very impressed with what she gets Great way for your boy to start off the evening
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote