Vertical Smoker Grate Temp Differential

doug93003

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Recently I've noticed a larger than normal temperature differential in my Humphreys Battle Box. With all three racks loaded with ribs the top grate will finish long before the bottom grate. I know I can move them around during the cook, but is there any other remedy?

Are you implying the temperature differential just started recently from the bottom to the top or is it you just discovered it?

That's the case in most vertical smokers.

That's the case in most vertical smokers.
:thumb: Thermodynamics ..... heat rises and he colder air settles to the bottom. Check a room in your house someday with an instant read on the floor, then the ceiling. Same principle. One way to beat it would be to figure out a method to evenly circulate the air. Another way would be to be aware of the situation and rotate the cook accordingly. I chose the latter ..... :mrgreen:

That is pretty much how reverse flow insulated cabinets work. My top rack is 15-20 degrees hotter than the 2nd but after that they are all within 2-3 degrees of each other (6 racks). I don't use the top rack much.

the top rack is a chicken cooking maching, btw

Recently I've noticed a larger than normal temperature differential in my Humphreys Battle Box. With all three racks loaded with ribs the top grate will finish long before the bottom grate. I know I can move them around during the cook, but is there any other remedy?

Depending on how new/old your battle box is you may have the advanced air flow feature. It's on the inside back of the cooker. close that down a little and it will even out your temps some from top to bottom. You may have to play with it a little.

Back