reverse flow help

T-doh

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey guys, been awhile since I've been on, last year I built a standard offset out of a 100 lb propane tank, love my offset, over winter my homemade hinges failed and so I stopped using her. Anyhow, I'm considering converting it to a reverse flow, just had a couple questions bout the plate. I measured it earlier and figure it will sit about 3 1/4 off the bottom and run about 36 inches long.. Just wondering if that 3 1/4 is enough clearance to get a good draft and not cause problems... Don't wanna cut up my pit and have it not work out... Thanks in advance!

How much room does that leave up to your first cooking grate?

In my experience as long as you can get 4-6 inches in between the RF plate and the first cooking grate you will be good. As long as you can get that, I would raise it up as much as you can (more volume = better air flow) and still maintain that separation. Just my $0.02.

So that would leave me right at 3 inches between rf plate and my cooking grate, its a pretty small diameter tank... Is that enough room or would I be better off not messing with it?

So that would leave me right at 3 inches between rf plate and my cooking grate, its a pretty small diameter tank... Is that enough room or would I be better off not messing with it?

Confession: I'm a devoted RF guy! Sooooo . . . I would go for it, even with only 3 inches separation between the RF plate & cooking grate. On smaller cookers I've seen folks successfully go with thinner RF plates or baffles (1/16-1/8 inch) but you might want to go a lttle thicker on the RF plate (maybe 1/4 inch) just to assure even heat distribution.

Thanks, i was planning on 1/4 inch... Guess I got some work to do now!

Sorry for the thread derail, but Fisher? Nice, went to PBL just up the road.

Lol yep good ol Fisher Bunnie here. Grew up here now raisin my family here.

I wasnt going to mention the "Bunnies", but now that you did. :)

Well, hello from another central Illinois boy who fled to better weather.

Back