Aussie needs help.

Ultimo

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Ive just started this American low and slow after lurking for a very long time.

I've completed a UDS and done a couple of cooks and love it so far.

My question is.

I would like people to post a picture of their favourite cut of meat.

I would also like a detailed description of where on the animal that cut comes from and how they go about cooking that.(Time and temp ect.)

I want to expand my limited knowledge of what and how to low and slow.

The reason being, we call some of these cuts different things and when talking to my butcher, he said anything is possible but to show him some pictures so he knows exactly what I am wanting.

Hope that made sense.

Thanks.

Brisket. FYI, It looks to me like they trimmed too much of the fat cap off. There should be a 1/4 left on there. Or they might have it flipped over.
srfbeef-goldbrisket-raw.jpg

900x900px-LL-24e1ac3f_fore_with_descriptions.jpeg

Kind of a small pic, but should give a bit of an idea where the brisket comes from.

There are 3-4 pretty active Aussie members here. Buccaneer, AussieTitch, SmokinAussie to name a few. Maybe they can help you with the Aussie to American terminology differences.

I love brisket but I cook more spare ribs than anything

Here they are trimmed to St. Louis cut

Riiiiiibs!

Smoke on Wheels - Andy Groneman is in AUS doing meat cutting and cooking techniques NOW. You should hook up on FB and see where he is at and at least hook up with the Yoder AUS folks.

Ultimo, I just returned from Aust this month there for three weeks. Love it there my other half has family there so lots of visiting time with them. I was able to visit withh SmokinAussie (Bill) while in Melborne. Had good visit and talked alot about Que. Great guy you need to look him up.

Also while there I spent alot of time in butcher shops and meat markets looking at the different cuts simular to what we have here. I did not see very much that looked like the cuts here. Did not find one whole brisket anywhere. All of it was cut up into chucks of stew meat. They had some thing called American Ribs but they are nothing like what we smoke. They scrap all the meat off down to the bone then sell them that way? Even got in little pissing contest with a Butcher in Pattys Market when I told him his American ribs looked pretty sad. He got a little pissed and said he was in busness to make money not lose money. Then said that the ribs expand when you cook them? What? I said.

I think your best bet is to find a good butcher and tell him what cuts and how you want it cut. I found a good Asian Butcher shop in Sydney close to Pattys Market that had the whole hogs handing in back which they were ready to give what ever I wanted. Just a thought. I did see a Burger and Ribs place in Sydney that was selling ribs that looked like the baby backs that I cook. So I know you can get the cuts if you want them.
One more thing the lamb you guys have looks great and there's alot of it. Suggest you try and slow smoke some lamb and use the recipes the Kentucky guys use. Bet it would be great. Sorry for long post. If you have any question send me a PM. Best of luck on your low and slow Que. Thanks

Guy

Last edited:
Back