MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:21 AM   #1
vnmg331
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Any Thoughts on Lavatool Thermowand vs Thermopop?

Needing a new thermometer........can't afford the revered thermopen. What about these two, they are in the same price point Thermowand or Thermopop?
vnmg331 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2015, 11:29 AM   #2
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have a thermoworks therm similar in speed to the pop and also have the thermowand and i'll take the thermowand all day and twice on Tuesdays. It's very fast, accurate, folds like the thermopen, lifetime warranty and the fridge magnet is very nice to have.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-16-2015, 11:44 AM   #3
Shagdog
Babbling Farker

I love my thermapop..

Come Join the fun in the Throwdowns!

Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master

Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-16-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
LYU370
Babbling Farker

^^^^^ I'll grab either my thermapen or thermopop, depends which one is handier. But I hate waiting that extra second for the thermopop.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Saber 500 Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us and enter to win great prizes! It's a BLAST!
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2015, 12:56 PM   #5
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Thermopop. I have had mine over a year and it still works great. Not as fast as my Thermapen but still pretty quick.

The 2020 Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash Planning Post! (Link)
The 2020 Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash Sign up sheet (Link)
pjtexas1 is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:58 PM   #6
drumdawg67
Take a breath!

+1 on Thermopop!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:11 PM   #7
bacchus99
Full Fledged Farker

I have both a thermapop and thermowand. I think the pop is a little faster. Both work just fine.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:36 PM   #8
MRQ
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

ThermoPop would be the best option. Its faster, the display rotates, is backlit, and has a longer probe. With a Longer probe length your hand will stay farther away from the grill and you can work with the bigger thicker meats. In my opinion I really don't see the other device as a competitor to the Pop. I think Shagdogs posts really helps find the difference in the speed.*

One other point that I don't think anyone has mentioned is the service that ThermoWorks provide. They do it right by providing great service to backup their awesome products.*
MRQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2015, 03:39 PM   #9
Jaybls
Got Wood.

Consider probe length before you settle on a winner. Thermowand does not have a probe long enough to handle larger pieces of meat (only 2.5 inches). The short, foldaway probe that everyone likes would not be able to get to the center of a roast, or turkey. If it can't do that, it's worthless. Take a look at a comparison between the Thermapen and the Thermowand and keep in mind that the ThermoPop has the same size probe as the Thermapen.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:42 PM   #10
SteveKing
is one Smokin' Farker

The video above is the reason I bought a Thermopop when they had that sale I posted up here a while back ($19). No way am I spending $96 on a Thermapen (they are currently on sale for $79 - St Pat Day green), when the Thermopop works only a little slower.
[I][B]Creator of "[URL="http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?61926-Brand-New-Damper-Design-quot-The-Micro-Damper-quot"]The MicroDamper[/URL]"[/B][/I] (used with the [URL="https://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?85-HeaterMeter-DIY-BBQ-Controller"]HeaterMeter[/URL] BBQ Pit Controller)
[I][B]---[/B]first and only inline & linear operating damper system
[B]---[/B]designed by an engineer
[B]---open source! support those who share openly & freely![/B][/I]
[B][COLOR=DarkGreen]I build HeaterMeters too![/COLOR]

KCBS Member
[/B][B]Member of[/B] [B][COLOR=red]"THE BLACKSTONE POSSE"
[/COLOR][/B][COLOR=red][COLOR=Black]*22.5 Performer* *Bandera* *22.5 WSM* *UDS* *Akorn* *Blackstone Patio Oven*[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=red][COLOR=Black][COLOR=red][COLOR=Black] *Blackstone Griddle*[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] [/COLOR]
SteveKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2015, 03:44 PM   #11
SteveKing
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybls View Post
Anyone who has a roast cooking with gradation like that ain't doing it right.

But I totally agree. Their probe is too short
[I][B]Creator of "[URL="http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?61926-Brand-New-Damper-Design-quot-The-Micro-Damper-quot"]The MicroDamper[/URL]"[/B][/I] (used with the [URL="https://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?85-HeaterMeter-DIY-BBQ-Controller"]HeaterMeter[/URL] BBQ Pit Controller)
[I][B]---[/B]first and only inline & linear operating damper system
[B]---[/B]designed by an engineer
[B]---open source! support those who share openly & freely![/B][/I]
[B][COLOR=DarkGreen]I build HeaterMeters too![/COLOR]

KCBS Member
[/B][B]Member of[/B] [B][COLOR=red]"THE BLACKSTONE POSSE"
[/COLOR][/B][COLOR=red][COLOR=Black]*22.5 Performer* *Bandera* *22.5 WSM* *UDS* *Akorn* *Blackstone Patio Oven*[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=red][COLOR=Black][COLOR=red][COLOR=Black] *Blackstone Griddle*[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] [/COLOR]
SteveKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2015, 05:09 PM   #12
vnmg331
Knows what a fatty is.

Ok, I bought 2 thermopops..........one for a gift and one for myself.
vnmg331 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:23 PM   #13
Jifar
Found some matches.

I have both but use the thermopop a lot more. As mentioned above the length of the probe is too short on the thermowand. My thermopop also reads faster than the thermowand. I like the idea of having a foldable thermometer like the Thermapen but thermowand just doesn't perform as well as the thermopop.
Jifar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2015, 07:24 PM   #14
1MoreFord
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

I came along a bit late but Thermoworks also sells this one and while it won't measure as high as the Thermopop it reads plenty high for food.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/...st/rt600c.html

Just in case you need another one in the future.

OK Joe Longhorn & Original Ok Joe Vertical Roasting Oven hybrid, Char Griller Akorn, Falcon MK V gaseous grill
1MoreFord is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2015, 01:32 PM   #15
ItalianScot
Found some matches.

I have a Thermopop and I use it multiple times a week. I've played with the Thermowand but the magnet wouldn't grip very well to most of the surfaces I tried. A clever idea but it just kept sliding down. Also, I worry about the probe length on the Thermowand and I just can't imagine how that body is waterproof (anyone else get that feeling?).
ItalianScot is offline   Reply With Quote