Pit Barrel Mojo vs El Diablo!

Brew-Bq

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Cuban style Mojo Pork. Smoking a 9lb Butt as we speak on th PBC. First time using 100% Lump in it. El Diablo:mad2: Brand from Costco. Friend swears by it but he uses it in his stick burner and for steaks. Did a mixed cook w KBB and same Lump a couple weeks ago. Injected the Butt last night w Goya brand Mojo Marinade. That stuff is tasty! Heavy garlic, cumin and slightly sour citrus. Dusted w Lawrys, then slathered it with a paste of yellow mustard, mojo, garlic and cumin powder and topped that w a light coat of Montreal Steak. Figured it may run hot w the lump but I was wrong, ran 230-240 for the first 2 hours, then dropped to 220 so I cracked the lid which got it up to 280 as per usual. But it would quickly try to come back down to 220. Tried taking one rebar out and that brought it up to 240. I was in no rush so let it ride. Had to leave for 40 minutes so I added two large lump chunks I tried to get going in the chimney starter. Jumped up to 340 so I put the rebar back in and left. Returned to find it at 205! cracked lid and brought it back up to 280. Took rebar out again and its cruising at 270 so far. Ill update as it progresses.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 230
  • mojo 003.jpg
    mojo 003.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 231
Sounding/looking great so far! Looks like you are off to a good start. :grin:

Brew-Bq definitely needs the beverage to mellow out and just let it ride :eek:) can't wait for the final verdict

So far its been an Epic battle with El Diablo desperately trying to hover in the low 200's. Been cracking the lid to keep her around 250-270. Just added another chimney of smaller lump pieces at the 8 hour mark. We are just about 170 internal. I decided early on there would be no foil! Im fine w some nice Meteor Bark.

Attachments

• mojo2 001.jpg
    mojo2 001.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 180
Hit 190 IT and 11 hours, probing like butter in most spots. Going to pull it soon and let it rest in the cooler at least an hour. Kids were hungry an hour ago and I had to tell them there would be no mojo tonight. I appeased them with some Quesadillas made w pulled pork from my last smoke.

Attachments

• mojo3 002.jpg
    mojo3 002.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 145
  • mojo3 005.jpg
    mojo3 005.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 144
And the winner is!

Attachments

• mojo4 002.jpg
    mojo4 002.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 135
  • mojo4 005.jpg
    mojo4 005.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 135
Couple hours later its time for the Money Shot! Delicious with the crispiest bark just how I like it. I could smell the garlic while I was pulling it from the Mojo injection.

Attachments

• mojo5 003.jpg
    mojo5 003.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 123
I use to inject butts with mojo. Not sure why I stopped, thanks for reminding me.

When I read the title of the thread I could only thing of "magic man and el diabolo"

The Payoff. The reason for the Mojo in the first place was so I could make something close to a Cubano. Obviously not authentic but a close approximation. I couldnt resist picking some pork with a healthy layer of bark. I present the Cubarko! Mojo Pork, Ham, sliced pickles, mustard, swiss and Ciabatta bread made on a poor mans panini maker aka cast iron skillet and cast iron press on top. So worth the wait.

Attachments

• mojofinal 004.jpg
    mojofinal 004.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 43
Back