Pic of my diffuser on my 22" kettle.

mchar69

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Old, '92 Weber 22, 3 wheeler (not 1 touch, 3 separate vents on the bottom).
One like usual on top.
I use the ash grate from an 18".
It sits way lower in the bowl. (ash may eventually clog on 5+ hour cooks)
Your large bed of briquettes gets lit by pouring 12 - 18 lit on top of the unlit.
I cut a sheet pan w/ my angle grinder to fit into the slots on the top grate.
It holds the metal pan with all my coals on the other the other side.
No holes in the pan. This pic has a water tray, and fresh ABTS.
I've smoked dual butts, ribs, abts, chucks, and it's amazing.
Pretty hot heat for steaks on the 'FAR SIDE' or directly above the coals.
I keep the 2 wheels on either side of the coals 1/2 ish open, the 3rd bottom wheel closed, the wheel on the lid open, and set to exhaust from over the meat, opposite the fire. Jeez, I talk too much.

Grate flipped. The line between the coals and food has a huge Temp differential.
Could do burgers, steak, on the empty area. I bet 450+.

260 ish per the therm - in the 'kitchen'.

Last edited:
Here's the best pic. See I cut a slot for the center of the grill.
The sheet pan goes and sits on the bottom of an 18" charcoal grate (lower than a 22).
Coals on only one side of the sheet, or diffuser, and coals between 2 vent wheels,
not piled on top of a vent wheel.
With the 3 wheeler, you can regulate temps like a mofo.

One vent wheel CLOSED on the bottom under the meat,
Coals lit on top of unlit ones between the other 2 wheels, I get the other 2 wheel intakes down to 1/4 each or less at times.
You can roll 8 -10 hours.

Last edited:
Looks like you got a home-made smokenator, very inventive, good job (and I know a lot cheaper)

I don't know about that, I was gonna smoke summer sausages at a low temp, and I had to try something.
I love AAWA's ring, but for 160 -180 degree slower smoking, I found this works..
just crack one bottom wheel a tad, 2 others closed, and you get 180 in the kitchen..
A little high for Summer sausage but it's all I had.
I then moved to the ribs and butts, easier at higher temps.

The book said to keep it about 160.
I invented a blocker, sort of.

I use bricks to hold back the coals
I would too, if this thin sheet did not work.
I am telling you I get 8 hours smoking
by dumping 12 -18 lit coals on top of a stack of KBB, maybe lump, and some smoking wood on the other side of the metal sheet ' diffuser, on a Weber 22.
Better than the side coal grates. It's like an oven, heat one side, meat the other!

now why didn't i think of that........thank you!

this gives me some ideas for my Char-Grill table top grill to diffuse the heat......been having some issues sometimes.......

Mchar, great job and very well explained. I've got one of these old dogs laying around and you've inspired me to get it out and play. After all, that's part of what I enjoy about the hobby. "Fire Control" and a better mouse trap! Thank you!

Have you tried attaching some expanded metal to the bottom of the fire grate?, that might keep it from clogging with ash

You mean the 3 wheeler?
Very versatile.
It really works.

3 wheelers rip.....here's my latest one....

WoodDale042.jpg

Turning orange under heat.....

WoodDale050.jpg

Back