Tonight's Feastivities - hanger steak, ham hocks and jowl bacon

Smoking Westy

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Here is an update on tonight's cook. The plan was to start curing some jowl bacon, smoke some fresh ham hocks and cook up a hanger steak.

First up was prepping the hanger steak while the kamado warmed up.

Membrane trimmed out, seasoned with Himalayan pink salt, pepper and home grown/smoke jalapeño dust

While that was resting it was time to prep the hocks and jowl.

Hocks were seasoned with Oakridge Competition Pork rub and a dusting of the new Crucible rub

The jowls got the basic cure, brown sugar and then a healthy dose of Crucible.

Meanwhile the fire was heating up, did I mention it was cold?

Time to put the beef on.

She is singing along...

And ready to rest...

Gone!

I backed the vents off and when it hit about 325 I put the hocks on. They are still cooking, going to let them go a bit longer before pulling them off this evening.

It's dropped a few more degrees since I started, kamado is holding steady at 250 with the vents barely cracked.

Had a hanger steak at a cooking school (CIA in Poughkeepsie) - wow was
that good! Yours looked awesome. They aren't big but they are tasty!
Great job. Hard to find those - any time you can get your hands on one,
grab it!

Thanks for making me drool on myself (yet again!). :rolleyes:

Had me with jowl bacon. :-D
It all looks and sounds great!

Nice cooking, that steak looks great

That is one great looking hunk of beef. Cooked just like I like mine when it is a good tender piece of meat. Warmed enough to stop the Mooo! Now all that said, I have never seen a "Hanger steak" in the local meat market. What part of the lucky Bovine does it come from? What would I ask for at a good butcher shop? Looking forward to trying one out if I can find one locally.

Blessings,

Omar

Thanks everyone. The hanger steak (my butcher calls them a hanging tender)is a great chunk of beef, tender with a ton of beef flavor. It's located down the diaphragm. I haven't seen one in the store either but after talking to a local butcher back home, he cuts them for me. He typically doesn't same them either unless I request them. Typically they are destined for the hamburger pile.

I'll try and get a picture of the hocks uploaded, they will be going into a pot of ham and beans tomorrow.

Man, that looks outstanding! I love hanger steaks, and I also admire your taste in knives. I'm a Bark River junkie too...

Back