Prices in Canada. - Ontario

Petee_c

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wondering about prices for meats, charcoal etc in Canada. I've been grilling for 20yrs on propane, but recently switched to smoking on a UDS. Need some help with prices.

Looks like we get 15 or 16lb bags of charcoal here in Canada. Is $8/bag a good deal? What's the best deal you've seen. What is a good stock up price on charcoal. I have room for 4-5 bags at most. I just bought a 16lb bag of royal oak briquette's from Cdn Tire for $8.99.

Back Ribs - cryopac - I usually try to get them for under $3.49/lb. The best deal I've seen is once so far at Kitchener Costco $5.99/kg or $2.72/lb.

The boneless, tied pork butt I bought this past weekend was $2.49/lb.

Greetings from a fellow Canada-resident (Toronto).

Regarding prices, sometimes if your lucky you can find spares and back ribs for as low as $2/lb if you catch them on sale, but most of the time you're still paying for quite a bit of scrap so you are probably better off finding a great quality supplier and paying a little premium but you'll not only get good quality but get them trimmed nicely.

I have seen $7 or $8 per bag of charcoal (8kg I believe) at canadian tire for royal oak briquettes, but I was incredibly disappointed with the product.

I buy Maple Leaf charcoal from Rona, they burn consistently and the flavour is incredible. It's a bit more at around $11.99 per 8kg bag (http://www.rona.ca/en/charcoal-briquettes) but it is completely worth it. I also buy the maple leaf lump charcoal from there (they use the scraps from the lump to make the briquettes). All natural and wheat startch is the binder. Definitely worth the price, but sometimes you can catch it on sale during the summer.

As well, you can pre-order online for store pickup and they'll put aside your order so you just have to go straight to the counter to pick it up and not worry about wandering through the store to find it.

Hope this helps.
Zach

Back