Smoking Bacon

tcards

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Getting ready to smoke some bacon. What temp do you run your smoker and was int the Internal temp you smoke to?

You don't really need to smoke it to any specific internal temp as you are not fully cooking it, just getting the smoke flavor on. You can hot or cold smoke bacon depending on your preference. If you cold smoke around 100 degrees (or even less) you can smoke it for hours. If you hot smoke it around 200 or higher you may only smoke it for an hour or so depending on how big of belly you have. If you do hot smoke it, removing the skin afterward is much easier. Basically, you just need to do it a few times so you know how smokey you prefer yours. Some people like just a kiss of smoke, some like it really heavy. I wouldn't worry about internal temp, just don't fully cook it unless you are cooking it to eat right out of the smoker.

What is the pros and cons of cold vs hot smoking?

I have done both and don't taste any difference between the two.

That said,I like to hot smoke. I smoke to an IT of 150 and usually run my smokehouse 185-200ish to get about 4 hours of smoke on them before they are done.

I don't smoke to an internal temp either. I monitor the temp of the smoke, not the meat.

It's just a matter of preference.
I prefer cold smoking, then cooking the bacon a variety of ways later.

Good luck with yours, which ever way you go. I'm sure it's going to be tasty! :thumb:

I have done both and don't taste any difference between the two.

That said,I like to hot smoke. I smoke to an IT of 150 and usually run my smokehouse 185-200ish to get about 4 hours of smoke on them before they are done.

/\ +1 on this. It's how I do it.

For bacon, not much really. You can make great bacon either way. However, for other foods you must cold smoke for the proper result. For example, most cheeses have to be cold smoked or they will melt. Cured salmon cold smoked is still raw (lox for example) but safe to eat. Cured salmon hot smoked would be cooked salty fish. Jerky must be cold smoked or it will "burn up" (get brittle and taste bitter).

I prefer more of a cold smoke, that way I'm sure no fat renders out. I want the fat to render in my skillet, not my smoker. Usually my Bradleys are run right around 100 deg and I smoke for 7-8 hours depending on the color of the meat. I go for a medium mahogany color for best flavor

How long do you soak your belley after cure before smoking?

How long do you soak your belly after cure before smoking?

You may not need to at all. If you are dry curing just quickly rinse off any cure that is still on the belly. You don't need to be incredibly thorough, just give it a quick rinse on both sides and pat dry with a paper towel. Cut a little piece off and fry it up. Taste for saltiness. If it is too salty soak it for an hour in cold water and fry up another little piece. Still too salty? Change your water and soak another hour. Repeat until desired saltiness, dry and smoke.

How long do you soak your belley after cure before smoking?

It depends on what cure you used.

Pink cure doesn't contain salt and the bacon usually doesn't need to be soaked (depends on how much salt you added to your recipe).

Tenderquick contains salt and some find it too salty. I usually soak Tenderquick cured bacon but not pink salt cured bacon.

Like Legendaryhog said, you can slice off a piece before smoking and give it a taste test.

Good luck!

Soaking really depends on what cure you use (how much salt) and how long you leave it in the cure. Soaking the belly will remove some of the salt from it, so after you remove your belly from the cure and rinse it off, slice off a couple smallish chunks and give it a fry. (Keep in mind that the edges will probably be a bit more intense than the middle) If your bacon is too salty, soak it in cold water for an hour. Then fry a slice and test again. You can repeat this until you get it where you like it, but make sure you do it BEFORE smoking...

Back