You don't know how good you had it until it's gone...

Andy W.

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm one of those guys that doesn't always know how good I have it until it's gone. This is the way things went regarding my history with smokers over the last 5 to 6 years or so. My first smoker was a Master Forge propane smoker that I bought new for 150 bucks. It really was a decent starter smoker and was relatively easy to control cooking temps, but using wood chips or chunks in a smoke box... not so much. I eventually wanted to try something different and 'better'. I considered an offset, but a quality offset was too much money at the time, and unfortunately, they still are. Because of this, I chose a Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5. I cooked some of my best Q on this smoker. After a while though, I got that itch again and had my sights set on a pellet somker, so I sold the WSM, and bought what I thought was my ultimate, a GMG Jim Bowie.

After two years with the pellet smoker, which at times is ultra convenient due to being able to start it up with the flip of a switch, I find myself dissatisfied with the amount of smoke flavor from this pellet cooker, as well as huge pellet use ($$$) during colder weather...

The result is I've decided to sell my pellet cooker and go back to something burning charcoal/wood.

I saw a couple of what appear to be excellent deals on craigslist, and I already took advantage of one.... Take a look and tell me what you would pick. Both were listed with an asking price of $150 firm.

OPTION 1:
file.php

OPTION 2:
file.php

Thanks for looking.

Both. :mrgreen: A man should not be limited to just one cooker. It's not redundant because it's 2 Different Styles of cooking.

Last edited:
I've done my time tending a stick burner. I'd pick the WSM any day!

option 1 for me but I like a stickburner and that one would be a good one.

WSM

The metal on the Off Set doesn't look real substantial. You'd be spending a lot of time trying to keep it at an ideal temp.

For 150.00 I'd build a UDS. IMO. But I'm sure you'll make a good decision either way.

Get 'em all, win it all!

I have both of those.

It's a Brinkman Cimmaron. 1/4" steel. Nice pit. Cut my teeth on one. Added some tuning plates and it cooks petty evenly end to end. Lot of work, and I'm not much of a stickburner.

I compete on WSMs. Collect them too. IMO, they are, dollar for dollar, the best backyard pit you can buy.

If you can get both for $300, you'd be foolish not too. That Cimmaron was over $900 new.

I'm a stick burner guy.

I'd say keep the pooper and get them both!

If I had to choose I'd split it this way. If that's a 22.5 WSM go for it. If it's 18.5 do the offset. But I like playing with fire. Sometimes the steady temp of a WSM would be nice though.

If the pit in option 1 is a decent pit and built with thick metal as said above that's the one I would choose. I like tending the fire and the flavor from an offset is hard to beat. Also consider how easy/difficult it might be to get firewood in your area. Craigslist is usually a good option for that.

Id keep the pellet and buy the stick burner. This way when you dont feel like tending the fire in the offset your pooper can do all the work.

If I could buy either one of those here, For $150 I'd buy them both -
just on principle.
EZ resale at those prices, if you were to ditch one of 'em.
Or give one to a friend for cheep.

I'd get both - 2 different and very good ways of cooking there. At that price, I'd be all over it.

Get Both....find a way to pick them up. At $150 each they are a steal!

Back