MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:09 PM   #1
Ozzie Isaac
On the road to being a farker

Default Large or XL Green Egg

I have an 18.5" WSM, a 22.5" Kettle, and a two burner gasser. The kettle to me is almost the perfect size, but the Green Egg size range I am looking at is either 18.25" or 24".

With that in mind, do you guys prefer the Large or the XL Green Egg? It seems the large is the most common. Do you guys with the Large wish you had gone larger? Do you guys with the XL wish you had gone smaller?
Ozzie Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

What types of cooks would you be doing on a BGE? Grilling, roasting, low-n-slow... whatcha cooking?

How many people would you be cooking for on a regular basis?

Do you entertain much?
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
fingerlickin'

I had an XL. Loved it. Sold it. Now have a Vision that's more the size of the L and wish I still had the XL. I will have another XL BGE some day, or a Primo XL.

My view is it's better to have the space and not always need it than to not have the space when you want it.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
Ozzie Isaac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
What types of cooks would you be doing on a BGE? Grilling, roasting, low-n-slow... whatcha cooking?

How many people would you be cooking for on a regular basis?

Do you entertain much?
Weekly I cook for my family and usually whatever friends the kids have over. So I would say 5+. Monthly I cook for friends and neighbors so 4 adults and 6 kids. My 22.5" kettle is about right.

I like smoking on my WSM, but would be doing steaks, burgers, wings, whole chickens on BGE. I would also like to do ribs without trimming.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #5
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie Isaac View Post
Weekly I cook for my family and usually whatever friends the kids have over. So I would say 5+. Monthly I cook for friends and neighbors so 4 adults and 6 kids. My 22.5" kettle is about right.

I like smoking on my WSM, but would be doing steaks, burgers, wings, whole chickens on BGE. I would also like to do ribs without trimming.
Based on your answers, I'd strongly recommend the XL. I have a Kamado Joe Big Joe (same size as XL BGE) and cook on it a lot! I used to have both a KJ Classic (same size as L BGE) and my KJ Big Joe. Sold the Classic, as I much prefer the Big Joe.

Just because the XL kamados are big, does not mean that you can't easily do smaller cooks... you can! I did enjoy my Classic, but often found myself very cramped for room... I got very tired of that. No more :-)

Just out of curiosity, have you looked at the KJ Big Joe?

Old 11-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #6
Ozzie Isaac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Just out of curiosity, have you looked at the KJ Big Joe?
I have not looked at the KJ's. Only reason is I have a local BGE dealer who my father has delt with a lot. Really good guy who has a passion for fire and food.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:46 PM   #7
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

You can do everything that you listed on a Large, but if you can afford the XL, I would go for it. Very few people buy a grill or smoker and say "I wish I had bought a smaller one"

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-24-2014, 03:46 PM   #8
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Primo Oval XL. All my green egg buddies are envious. If you insist on huevos verde buy the biggest you can afford

Last edited by 16Adams; 02-28-2015 at 02:35 PM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2014, 03:56 PM   #9
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Love my XL. I would not want a smaller egg. You can grill so much more on the XL and make big pizzas too . If you can afford the XL get it.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:03 PM   #10
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie Isaac View Post
I have not looked at the KJ's. Only reason is I have a local BGE dealer who my father has delt with a lot. Really good guy who has a passion for fire and food.
Buying local from a great guy is hard to argue with! I'd probably do the same thing!! Which way are you currently leaning? Here's the biggest reason that I like the XL size... with regards to smoking, there are 3rd party products that can double or triple the surface area of a large BGE... but thats only for smoking. If smoking is what you are after, then by all means, buy the large and enjoy the heck out of it. However, if you are thinking that you will be using it as a grill as well... 18" is not very much cooking surface. Heck, just take a look at your 18.5" WSM... not much room to spread out, eh? Want to grill with direct/indirect on a large... it's very tough. Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:33 PM   #11
HolySmoke77

Get the XL you wont regret it. Wouldn't trade mine for nothing. I do pizzas, steaks at 700 degrees if you want to and can smoke 4 butts, holds moisture like no other. Go for it!
HolySmoke77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #12
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

If I'm buying an offset or gasser, I might consider something smaller to save fuel, but that is the only reason I can think of to want a smaller pit. In ceramic, get as large as you can afford.

That's what you want us to tell you anyway.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2014, 05:50 PM   #13
Ozzie Isaac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
If I'm buying an offset or gasser, I might consider something smaller to save fuel, but that is the only reason I can think of to want a smaller pit. In ceramic, get as large as you can afford.

That's what you want us to tell you anyway.
Haha. Yeah sort of. I am really leaning towards the larger one. I love my WSM for smoking, but grilling on it is a pain, thats why I got the Kettle.

I plan to use the BGE for grilling steaks, burgers, and cooking chicken hotter than I can get my WSM. When I do chickens I like to do a couple at a time for left overs. I also butterfly my chickens so they take up a lot of rack space.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:03 PM   #14
BBQ Nuts

I have the L and nearly every time I use it I wish I had bought the XL.
BBQ Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2014, 06:06 PM   #15
jsperk
Babbling Farker

I would get the xl. I have a large Grill Dome and I like cooking on my kettle 22.5 because of size and indirect and direct setup at the same time.

That said I'm in the process of trying to sell my large Grill Dome to get into a Primo XL. Love the oval shape.
jsperk is offline   Reply With Quote