Type of Smoker?

JowlDroppinBBQ

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Im looking to buy a new smoker and I need some help!
Pro/Cons to Water cookers and gravity fed. Who has a favorite?

For the very best Q, buy a quality stick burner!:wink:

Well...I cook on a WSM and a pellet pooper and love them both, however I have to admit that a nice Stumps gravity fed smoker would be awesome.
But, like Harry Soo from Slap yo Daddy says "Always the pitmaster, never the pit"

With out knowing your budget and cooking style. My money & choice is for an insulated GF cooker (STUMPS to be exact). Your avatar shows you reside in MI and I presume winter time there can be brutal. So you probably don't want to tend a SB in 10-20 degree (or colder) weather, then again... However, you can fire up a Stumps, set the temp, load your meat and go inside for a spell. Not to forget, you can get some sleep on overnight cooks. When your done, simply close the ball valve and exhaust cap and go inside. YEAH I'ts a biased opinion! Just my $0.02. Good luck on your choice.

JT

If it's within your budget consider a quality Kamado. You wont look back.

As you can see I live in WI and personally own a Pitmaker Safe and love it. Just go with something with some insulation for cold weather (winters are long in WI and MI). I have used mine out in the open on the patio as low as -15.

All very good advice.

Stick burners put out great tasting Q, however you've got to be right on it. Not a bad thing especially if you enjoy it. Shirley's Fabrication or Lang would be my choices on a SB.

Kamado's are hard to beat for the money. They also have great versatility. Low and slow or fast and furious. I like my BGE.

Insulated cabinets are awesome. Stumps, BWS etc. Would be a benefit for year round cooking in Wisconsin.

Depends on the time you have, the seasons you want to cook in, how many your cooking for and the budget you want to work with. Good Luck!

Ceramic cooker is out. I've already broke one of those. :( I am in the middle of building a trailer for cooking onsite for freinds, work etc. I've decided I need 4 systems to be able to cook on and they need to correlate with my abilities to produce my best foods. They are;

A Meadow Creek BBQ42 to grill chicken, hamburgers and steaks.

A Meadow Creek PR60 to Roast a pig as well as do ribs, pork butts and brisket.

A BWS Gater to do ribs, pork butt and brisket. Also, the BWS is a great tool to have on board to keep meats and sides warm as I can control it down to around 150°.

Not sure this helps other than you can at least see the method to my madness as it pertains to choosing cookers. Good Lick and keep posted as to your decision and why.

I'd say a stickburner over a smoke puffer any day. But that's just me.

I've got a Superior SS-3 that I enjoy cooking on summer or winter here in Ohio.

A quality insulated cabinet smoker , I'm looking at lonstargrillz for my next smoker

The cost for shipping of most smokers to mi is jaw dropping. if you want to cater then you need to be able to feed the masses even with say 30 to 40 inches of snow on the ground. Stick burners and reverse flow are great,but can they REALLY handle the cold here in mi so you can put out a quality product every time without FUBAR. I to have been dancing around a purchase of a cooker and found the Meadow creek pr 72 gas trailer may be the best fit for our location. It has a charcoal insert to use without gas, however a gas backup is what health departments want to see you have . there is a dealer in shipshawanna and ohio and penn, Ship is closer and you can pick up VS having to pay huge shipping cost, good luck let me know how it works out for ya

I own a lonestargrillz cabinet smoker. It's insulated, has the largest charcoal capacity in its class, has a 6 gallon water pan, refill without without opening the door. It can run for 35 hours on a full load of charcoal, and you can easily cook 12-16 briskets in there. It would be perfect for catering.

I did a lot comparing based on price, features and cook capacity, and lone star Grillz always come on top.

Their service is top notch.

Check out this link for more info.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185024&highlight=Grillz

My budget is around 4000 and I want to start catering
Talk to some caterers in your area; what works down here in the south may not work in your area. Also, what kind of catering do you want to do? I cater occasionally for friends and family, a guy I know does it seriously. We use different equipment.

The cost for shipping of most smokers to mi is jaw dropping. if you want to cater then you need to be able to feed the masses even with say 30 to 40 inches of snow on the ground. Stick burners and reverse flow are great,but can they REALLY handle the cold here in mi so you can put out a quality product every time without FUBAR. I to have been dancing around a purchase of a cooker and found the Meadow creek pr 72 gas trailer may be the best fit for our location. It has a charcoal insert to use without gas, however a gas backup is what health departments want to see you have . there is a dealer in shipshawanna and ohio and penn, Ship is closer and you can pick up VS having to pay huge shipping cost, good luck let me know how it works out for ya

My Meadow Creek is a PR60 gas unit. I also purchased the charcoal insert. This unit is under sold in my mind because it is truly so versatile. You can cook/reheat most anything for the masses. As Wolverine says, good luck and keep us updated.

Personally, I love my Backwoods Party G2. However, if I were to START a small catering business I would go with the "best bang for the buck" which would be a 22.5 WSM., or build a UDS. Both of these can produce some quality Q. After I have made a considerable profit I'd go ALL OUT on a Backwoods!

For the very best Q, buy a quality stick burner!:wink:

I have to agree. Recently I purchased a steel keg.....and for grilling fish and "smoke/baking" it is great. But I truly like my beat up old weber for some smoking, it is about the most perfect cooking machine ever made IMHO. BUTTTTTTTTT.......when I broke down and got lucky enough to purchase a used Jambo from one of our good brethren........nothing compares.......something about not "sitting" in a cloud of smoke, or maybe the big air flow or burning the wood as opposed to smoldering. I can't tell you why, but if you have the patience and time to tend fire there is nothing like it.

Back