MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
Trunks
Take a breath!

Default smoked butts freezing question

like the idea i saw on here for portioning off the left overs and vacupaking them so all that is needed is drop package in bailing water and im all set next time i get a craving it

just wondering how long they can stay frozen b4 i have to toss it?

thanks
Trunks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2014, 12:14 PM   #2
Fat Cap
Full Fledged Farker

i have vaccuum sealed pulled pork in the freezer that is 3 months old and it tastes just fine.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #3
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

If vac-sealed you are good for 2 years, but it never lasts that long....

I have has some that dropped to the back and bottom of the freezer and got lost for over 1 year and it was still great!!!

Now I reorganize the freezers every 6 months to try and prevent this, by turning some of the leftovers into soups. stews, casseroles, ans/or tacos..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-27-2014, 02:14 PM   #4
Grillman
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks View Post
like the idea i saw on here for portioning off the left overs and vacupaking them so all that is needed is drop package in bailing water and im all set next time i get a craving it

just wondering how long they can stay frozen b4 i have to toss it?

thanks

Never.

Frozen food doesn't go bad, so you will never need to throw it away.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:26 PM   #5
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

It would probably be different without the vacuum sealed bag but with it you'll be able to keep your butt almost indefinitely as long as it stays frozen!

Old 08-27-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Vacuum sealed meat stays good for up to 2 years. Probably longer than that, but if you have over 2 year old frozen meat, you aren't eating enough meat. I seal up smoked chicken, pulled pork, racks of ribs, brisket, etc all the time for reheating at a later time.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:59 PM   #7
outofbounds
Got Wood.

If your family is like mine, it will not last in the freezer that long b/c it gets eaten. I use ziplock bags and thaw out in fridge. Heat up on a pan with EVOO or zap in microwave.
outofbounds is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #8
Friedturkeyspam
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I smoke pork butts, pull them, add back the juice, mix and put in zip lock freezer bags with all the air pushed out, pretty flat and about an inch thick or so. Stack them in the freezer and take them out and put in the fridge to thaw as needed. My wife doesn't like smoked food so when I fire up the smoker I make a decent batch to eat on over the next several weeks/months.

It can go bad in the fridge but I think you're golden as long as you want in the freezer.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:20 PM   #9
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedturkeyspam View Post
I smoke pork butts, pull them, add back the juice, mix and put in zip lock freezer bags with all the air pushed out, pretty flat and about an inch thick or so.
I do this too but use a vacuumsealer. When you add back the juice (which includes some fat) the fat will solidify and you'll be able to see it in your meat. But I like it in there so when I toss the vacuum-sealed bag into a pot of water to reheat it comes out moist and delicious. Its really a great way to store your pulled pork for an extended period of time.
Rec Tec with bull horns -- UDS (Big Blue) -- 2 Weber kettles -- Weber gasser -- DCS outdoor stainless built-in nat. gasser with smoker box and rotisserie -- Dutch ovens a-plenty -- bright yellow can't-lose-me Thermapen
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #10
charlieclaus
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I vacuum seal pulled pork all the time...stick it in a vacuum bag and add some of the juices....I stack it unsealed in my freezer overnight....then vacuum seal it...that way I don't get juice running all over my sealer...
charlieclaus is offline   Reply With Quote