What mods have u done to ur wsm?

Trunks

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Just wondering what if anything u guys have done to modify your wsm. I have the 22.5 and all I have done was drill holes for my probes. What is out there that could improve a already great smoker in my opion

Look forward to hearing

Maybe picture also!!!

The WSM really doesn't need much in the way of modding.

Mine get a second charcoal grate, handles, and a dome thermo, but that's about it. They really don't need much more than that either, which you will discover the more you use it.

On my first 18.5, I put a cheesy dome therm. on it and foiled the door. Sold that one. My current 18.5 doesn't even have one of those. I use a cheesy regular oven therm. on the grate. :thumb:

Wheels, handles on the center section, fire grate handles.

I bought the gaskets from BBQGaskets.com. I bought the Cajun Bandit Stainless Steel door. I bought the compression latch handle. I did the fire basket mod to my coal ring and grate. I bought the UnknownBBQ lid hinge.

What I haven't done yet is the handles for the middle section and you can insert side tables into it. Not sure I will do it. Have to find a welder friend.

I agree with Harbormaster that the WSM doesn't really need any mods, but that hasn't prevented me from adding a SS door from Cajun Bandit, an ATC and smoking jacket from BBQ Guru (very useful for year-round smoking when the snow flies) replacing both cooking grates with SS flip-up ones from Weber, adding a terracotta saucer to the water bowl, making a throwback lid handle out of cocobolo, adding a flipped stacker from ProQ and doubling up the charcoal grates to do a better job with RO lump. I didn't need any of these but it sure is fun.

I made the following mods to mine:

1. Gaskets kit to seal up the lid and the door
2. Cajun Bandit Stainless Steel door
3. Second upper layer grate to increase rib cooking capacity
4. Drilled 2 holes for temperature probes probes
5. BBQ Guru DX2 with 10CFM fan

I have done most of the mods listed and by far the first mod to do imho is the Unknown BBQ lid hinge. Makes cooking so much easier without worrying where to put the hot lid. I stained my deck the first time and fought it for two years before this came out.

I added the BBQ Guru grommets for probes and a second charcoal grate for when I use lump and that's it. I thought about wheels but I never move mine and I thought about handles on the middle section but the only time I take it on or off are when I set it up before the cook and after the cook when it has cooled down, so I've never bothered.

I see quite a few people worrying about sealing it up tight with gaskets and new doors but I've never felt the need. Mine cook just fine without them.

I have done most of the mods listed and by far the first mod to do imho is the Unknown BBQ lid hinge. Makes cooking so much easier without worrying where to put the hot lid. I stained my deck the first time and fought it for two years before this came out.

When you put the hinge on does the cover still fit on your smoker? The cover that came with my new 18.5 is really tight. If the hinge protrudes 3" or so I'm not sure I can get it on there anymore.

Tool rack on the side to hold my Pitmaster IQ. The $4 Weber tool rack fits just fine.

That and some foil on my water pan to keep it a little cleaner.

The only thing I've done is add wheels and my buddy made me a set of walnut handles. I may do the cajun bandit door at some point but it would purely be for aesthetics.

Cajun Bandit Stainless Steel door and that's about it. I foil the water pan. That's about it.

I LOVE that cooker.

I just did a dome therm on mine...on an old 18" I got used. My only other "mods" were a rib rack, deciding to cut racks of ribs in half (so much easier to deal with on the 18 ) and putting the smaller/lower grate I generally don't use on top of the top grate since I normally only do single level cooks.

Last edited:
Back