UDS build 2 ... Primer or no primer

Teepah

Reaction score
We inited my sister in law and her family over for a bbq. My brother in law was checking out my USD and was in awe that something so simple made good food. I made brisket and boston butt. My sister in law asked me to build one for him as a surprise. They have been very helpful to us over the years so I agreed.

Will priming the barrel help hold the paint or will the heat damage the paint job ?

I want the UDS to turn out nice but not as nice as mine :oops:

Sorry for the long post for such a simple question but I rarely post but I am on this site daily reading and expanding my BBQ knowledge. This place is awesome.

Teepah

I used a self etching primer in rattle can from Lowes and it has held up great!

The high heat paint I used said don't use primer. I did use primer on the rusty areas after sanding them. Can't really tell the difference in quality on the primed areas from the non-primed areas.

I also used BBQ paint and it said not to use a primer, so far, it's holding up just fine.

I used engine primer and paint. Worked and looked great. Even survived forgetting to put on the lid and a 600+ degree burn for 30+ minutes :oops:

I've used Rustoleum High Heat on two drums over the original paint after scuffing it.
No problems at all.

I used engine primer and paint. Worked and looked great. Even survived forgetting to put on the lid and a 600+ degree burn for 30+ minutes :oops:

Good to know that the UDS can get up to those temps do cooking pizza. Have to test mine out after my cook today to see what it can do.

My drum with no primer blistered at 600F doing pizza recently - not sure why, but I need to strip it again and re-paint now. This was high-heat spray paint, but not sure of the make.

Good to know that the UDS can get up to those temps do cooking pizza. Have to test mine out after my cook today to see what it can do.

Scared the crap out of me, but no damage. I shot the side of the drum with infrared thermometer and it wasn't anywhere near that hot.

Back