MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:07 AM   #76
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge View Post
i disagree with getting two smaller cookers at once. I'd rather have one larger than two small, just my opinion though.
I agree with this initially. It can be hectic at moments when you are first doing comps, no need to compound that managing 2 cookers and 2 fires, unless maybe if they are like pellet cookers. I started with one cooker that was big enough to make do and handle everything, if a little tight, and figure after a season or two I can figure out which second pit to add.

I started comp cooking with an FEC120, which fit my duel needs for comp and catering perfectly. After having done a small number of comps I have gotten a feel for what I have and what I think I need. I am probably going to add a yoder ys1500 in the fall, and in the summer next year add a small yoder offset stickburner to fine tune my brisket on.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #77
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailGateJoecom View Post
To be honest, imo going to a comp and looking is a great idea in theory, but in real world application won't give you much more info than what you get right here and on manufacturers sites. Think about it, when I ask someone about their pit, that they maybe invested a few thousand in, hardly ever do I get a response of "gee its ok but I probably wouldn't buy it if I had it to do all over again." Basically, everyone seems to love the pit they invested in. It is just human nature really. Look on this site for instance, is there really a lot of guys trash talking the pit that they use? Not much. Yeah it would be nice to swing by a comp and see them in person, but it isn't like you would get to actually use any of them, and I doubt you would get a ton of unbiased opinion. Not a knock in any way on fellow brethren, its just the nature of the beast. And besides, I think the majority of people here have probably bought their pits site unseen as well.
As far as taking a look at them I wanted to take what info I got from here and manufactures websites and then be able to see them in person to see for myself how well built they are. You can only tell so much from pictures. For example the Humphrey's cookers I initially based an opinion from their website photos which do not do the cooker justice from what I've seen on other owners personal pages. I've seen pictures on peoples Facebook pages that are better quality than the one pictured on Humphrey's site. Which have changed my initial opinion on the fit and finish of the cookers. Or at least as much as I can tell from the picture.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:58 PM   #78
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailGateJoecom View Post
To be honest, imo going to a comp and looking is a great idea in theory, but in real world application won't give you much more info than what you get right here and on manufacturers sites. Think about it, when I ask someone about their pit, that they maybe invested a few thousand in, hardly ever do I get a response of "gee its ok but I probably wouldn't buy it if I had it to do all over again." Basically, everyone seems to love the pit they invested in. It is just human nature really. Look on this site for instance, is there really a lot of guys trash talking the pit that they use? Not much. Yeah it would be nice to swing by a comp and see them in person, but it isn't like you would get to actually use any of them, and I doubt you would get a ton of unbiased opinion. Not a knock in any way on fellow brethren, its just the nature of the beast. And besides, I think the majority of people here have probably bought their pits site unseen as well.
Definitely agree with all the above. A lot of feedback/opinion you find here is "Pit XYZ is 'built like a tank'" and everyone loves what they have. Makes it pretty confusing.

Even though I know you are in Ohio where it is cold I still think 2 WSM's is an awesome way to go. There aren't many comps up there in the dead of winter . I've used mine when it is freezing and while it does burn through more charcoal most people have trouble maintaining temp when it is windy or raining than trouble in the cold. 2 WSM's will be inexpensive, easy to move and easy to sell if you want to bounce to another smoker(s).

I've competed with 2 WSM's and then I went to a large gravity fed simply because I like to tinker and found a good deal on craigslist. Did fine on both setups. Then when I knew I was getting a camper (not a toy hauler) I didn't have a way to move around the large pit. So I wanted 2 smaller pits again that I could put into the back of a truck. I could have gone back to the 2 WSM setup, but again because I like to change it up I went Backwoods because I had a local dealer and they still fit the bill for lifting. Lot's of guys swear by humpries, but I wouldn't take them if you gave them to me because they are heavier (aka even more "tank like" ) and my wife and I wouldn't be able to lift them into the truck. Granted I would take them for home use obviously .

Next year I might have something different. Point is any number of the pits suggested here have teams "killing it" using said pit. They all put out great food. Confusing again right?? So finding something close to you at a decent price is the way I would go. WMS's are a short Amazon order away. Most pits hold their value and you can always turn around and sell it and change it up .

Anyways, there is more blah blah to analyze.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:51 AM   #79
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

Ive noticed that if you take Pit questions to pm, your much more likely to get the real story on the pit. Everyone loves their own pits pretty much because all these custom pits are nice friggin pits!
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2014, 07:45 AM   #80
rtboswell
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
Lot's of guys swear by humpries, but I wouldn't take them if you gave them to me because they are heavier (aka even more "tank like" ) and my wife and I wouldn't be able to lift them into the truck. Granted I would take them for home use obviously .
Humphrey's are sturdier than BWS, but they aren't going to break your back. Or your wallet. You can get the Pint which is basically the same size as a G2 Party for around $800 less and it's only 30-40 pounds more in weight.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #81
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtboswell View Post
Humphrey's are sturdier than BWS, but they aren't going to break your back. Or your wallet. You can get the Pint which is basically the same size as a G2 Party for around $800 less and it's only 30-40 pounds more in weight.

And that extra weight matters . There are times where I have to load them myself. I've looked into Humphries. No reason to change cookers every week .

I know lots of guys are abandoning backwoods for Humphries but it doesn'twork for me.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #82
rtboswell
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
I know lots of guys are abandoning backwoods for Humphries but it doesn'twork for me.
Love the choice of language there- "abandoning." Its not a wife or child. It's a cooker.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:32 PM   #83
Jason TQ

Quote:
Love the choice of language there- "abandoning." Its not a wife or child. It's a cooker.
I don't know what that word means. I just opened a dictionary blindly and pointed.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #84
abangs
is one Smokin' Farker

Last time I checked, the #1 kcbs team in the nation is a backwoods team and backwoods has numerous mim world championships. Pretty sure these accomplishments speak for the quality of them. This being said, to the point of the original post: there are numerous good cookers out there. Figure out what 'style' you think fits you and stick with a brand that has been around a long time and don't get caught up in some of these smaller 'fad' cookers and companies. They will be gone in 5 years and you will be stuck with something that is worthless. Tried and true cooker companies will be here for the long haul. Do this and you will be ok. My top list of these: backwoods, stumps, fec, meadow creek, spicewine, and superior. My top of these for what you are looking for: backwoods G2 fatboy, meadow creek bx50, and the superior ss2 are my favorites. Fec for pellets is hard to beat.
abangs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-10-2014, 11:41 PM   #85
Memphis Que
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by abangs View Post
stick with a brand that has been around a long time and don't get caught up in some of these smaller 'fad' cookers and companies. They will be gone in 5 years and you will be stuck with something that is worthless. Tried and true cooker companies will be here for the long haul. Do this and you will be ok.
Excellent advice!
Memphis Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2014, 08:30 AM   #86
abangs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I'm going to disagree. If you are comparing say a Party or a Chubby to a heavier cooker, like a Humphrey's, then maybe so, but you also have to understand those two models are built for homeowners and are made light weight to be portable...so you have to consider the intended purpose and compare apples to apples. If you are building a lightweight unit then you can't fabricate it out of heavy gauge metal. There are a lot of misconceptions that since the skins are not welded on the Backwoods so they are not as "sturdy". This is complete crap. Try to pick up a Fatboy and tell me that cooker is not "sturdy". Second: Let's pretend that the Pint and the G2 Party are more or less identical cooker as you suggest: Do you really think that 1 company can make the same cooker in a higher quality manner for about 30% cheaper ($800/$2600 which is the price of a G2 Party) and actually stay in business? There is a very good reason BWS has been around since the mid 80's and a better reason why they are consistently on top.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:36 AM   #87
abangs
is one Smokin' Farker

[QUOTE=rtboswell;2980582]I've cooked on both and you can't really go wrong with either one. There are pluses and minuses to each type.

3. With the standard BWS the steam from the water can make your bark not set properly (some users will debate this issue). Humphrey's has a solution to this: they have a slide out water pan that isn't right over the firebox that provides the moist environment without all the steam.
4. Temps can get away from you if you don't add water or if you light too many coals at one time

Answer to #3, see my brisket. This is from a Backwoods Fatboy. Enough bark for you?
Answer to #4, well, yea....temps will run w/o water. That is why they are water smokers. Second part of #4, learn how to control your fire.

Randy, like I told you two months ago, learn your cooker and how to cook on it. Every cooker is different. You will never get it right swapping cookers every few months no matter what you cook on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0855.jpg (87.7 KB, 128 views)

Old 07-11-2014, 08:59 AM   #88
hedge
Full Fledged Farker

it's not the smoker, it's the cook.
hedge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #89
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Andy fad cooker. I think not you have to remember I was a Backwoods guy /dealer long before you or most people on this board. I know them inside and out!! I don't normally get in pissing matches but the amount of wins don't mean squat if your not getting your monies worth and there are significant quality issues. Believe you me we are priced right and making money. Maybe Backwoods is just over charging for what they are. I guess people are getting nervous if they have to talk this way and spy on what I am doing and report back to Mike. WA Wa get over it we make a killer unit and we are here to stay.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-11-2014, 07:10 PM   #90
Blanton
is One Chatty Farker

I don't have any experience with BWS, but coming from a WSM I did have concerns with steam and why I ran my WSM dry.

I have the drop in pan with the heat diverter plate, and I can say I have no steam at all and that is running at 250-275. My pork has never been better.