uds frebox question

nwahogs

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I made one for my uds using the smaller 13 1/2 in weber grate. I was thinking about building one using the 18 in grate. Anybody use or have both to let me know how they compare? Was thinking the bigger one might be less likely to choke out by ash

I used the 17" replacement Weber charcoal grate with 3/4" expanded metal wall 10" tall. It works great, I've run it for 18hrs on a test run before with no problem. It would have run longer but I shut it down. Mine is 3 1/2" off the bottom.

I used the 17" replacement Weber charcoal grate with 3/4" expanded metal wall 10" tall. It works great, I've run it for 18hrs on a test run before with no problem. It would have run longer but I shut it down. Mine is 3 1/2" off the bottom.

I use the same thing and had it going for about 30 hours at 230 and still had lump left over.

I saw a post a few years ago where some brethren had the regular basket made of the bigger grate and a smaller diameter expanded mesh cylinder to place inside it when they didn't want to put as much charcoal in for a cook. I don't see the point as I rarely empty unused charcoal from my UDS. Just shake out the ash, top it up and cook again.

I'm sure what you've got will work for now. If can return/exchange the smaller grate now, though, you might as well. Better to have more volume and not need it than the other way around.

Mine works fine with the competition briquettes but havent had a long smoke on the regular kingsford. I was just interested in hearing the difference in the two if somebody had used both. Curious if theres a difference in temp control, cook length, or anything really

I couldn't bend the 9 ga exp metal easily, so I kinda hammered the metal over a corner, to kind of make a rectangle. tied with coat hanger wire, same as on the bottom. 2" off.
It is kinda tall, but I never fill it up.
Muskoka said - and I do it too -just shake out the ash,
fill up, and keep going.

If you want to cook at half fast or slower the 13.5 will work well. If you want to cook, I would go with a larger grate.

Also, join the force and go by Harps or Marvins and pick up some Ozark Oak. It really is better for less money.

If you want to cook at half fast or slower the 13.5 will work well. If you want to cook, I would go with a larger grate.

Also, join the force and go by Harps or Marvins and pick up some Ozark Oak. It really is better for less money.

That's what I've used for years until i started using uds. Then the lowes sale came and I've got 200 lbs of kingsford

I use the same thing ["17" replacement Weber charcoal grate with 3/4" expanded metal wall 10" tall"] and had it going for about 30 hours at 230 and still had lump left over.

About how much charcoal was that? Was that without having to shake it?

About how much charcoal was that? Was that without having to shake it?

I can fit a 10 pound bag of lump in the basket. I have never had to shake it using lump. I will hold a steady temp up to 30 hours, probably more as I have never had the need to go further. When I start the UDS again with whats left in the basket, I will always shake out the ash before I start it.

I can fit a 10 pound bag of lump in the basket. I have never had to shake it using lump. I will hold a steady temp up to 30 hours, probably more as I have never had the need to go further. When I start the UDS again with whats left in the basket, I will always shake out the ash before I start it.

Ah, with lump. If I built a UDS with a similar basket and burned KBB, then of course I would get different results with regard to ash.

I've noticed the large amount of ash the kbb has while grilling in the hasty bake. Just amazing the difference between it and ozark oak. I just assumed there will be issues in the uds

I used the large grate but the expanded mesh is about 1" smaller in diameter and about 14" high. Don't know how long it will run...yet.

Matt

Back