beef short ribs any diff than beef backs ?

noles2g

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Brethren,
I came across some rather large beef shorts for the first time at my local butcher today..having never cooked them before my question is should I treat them any different than beef backs? I usually do them with Salt pepper and maybe a liittle garlic @ 260-270 until they're done on the WSM for about 4 hours or so till they get tooth pick tender..I just don't want to mess them up! Appreciate any advice as always!

may take a little longer than backs as they have more Meat. many call them Brisket on a Stick.

Do you all ever wrap them to get them tender or ever cook them to a certain temp like a brisket?

If they're whole racks, at that temp, they will take closer to 6 hours, maybe more. You can wrap after they get nice color, if you like, but you don't have to. Cook till tender, not to a temp.

I wrap mine in butcher paper most of the time. Salt, pepper and garlic will do you just fine. As said, treat it like a brisket. I would just say probe it with something more substantial than a toothpick. Use a skewer like you would a brisket. The toothpick will pass through easily long before they are really done. You do that with smaller ribs because there isn't enough meat to probe with a skewer. Shorts take a lot longer than backs, especially if they are on the rack.

Thanks for all the great replys! I will just cook it till probe tender with the maverick.

Brethren,
I came across some rather large beef shorts for the first time at my local butcher today..having never cooked them before my question is should I treat them any different than beef backs? I usually do them with Salt pepper and maybe a liittle garlic @ 260-270 until they're done on the WSM for about 4 hours or so till they get tooth pick tender..I just don't want to mess them up! Appreciate any advice as always!

there are two types of beef ribs available to the consumer; Beef Short Ribs and Beef Back Ribs.

Short ribs are cut from the rib and plate primals and a small corner of the square-cut chuck. A full slab of short ribs is typically about 10 inches square, ranges from 3-5 inches thick, and contains three or four ribs and they can take as long as 8 hours before they are done.

Back ribs are usually cut from the ends of a prime rib roast, a very desirable and an expensive cut. There is a lot of tasty meat between the bones. Back ribs can are usally sold in slabs of 8 or more bones which can be up to 8" long. Depending on how much meat is on them and the thickness of the bones, they can be finished in as little as three hours.

Beef short ribs have more meat than beef back ribs, but both pack great beef flavors.

Short ribs are my favorite when they come out right but it's more difficult to get them tender without drying than pork ribs. I get more consistant results when I foil after a couple of hours then unwrap for the last hour.

Do you all ever wrap them to get them tender or ever cook them to a certain temp like a brisket?

No need to wrap just cook to tender. Cook them at 275-325 to tender its that easy.

I saw a few folks say take the membrane off as well.. I always do that for my beef backs..
FYI-this is a full rack not cut up "Flanken style". I will try and post a pic, but they look pretty hefty to me.

Cut them into individual ribs or at most 2 ribs. They 'Puff Up' big time, and you will get more rub and 'Maillard' on the exposed sides, plus they cook much faster.
Probe tender is the only way, around 200 or so.

My local Costco sells the beef short ribs with the bone removed. They look almost identical to how you see tri tip cut into strips. Never really knew how you would cook those.

Just did some today, dusted with Black Ops and pulled them at about 205 internal...

20140621_144126_zps999f8234.jpg

Thanks to all who contributed!
Came out Better than I expected for a first run!
Cooked at 275 with Stubbs and Oak for about 6 hours. No wrap. Used my base brisket rub-salt pep garlic and a drop of cayenne.
I will def be doing these again. My 3 year old also got down on the bones. Good times.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Back