THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Papa Cat

Got Wood.
Friends and Brethren:

I'm looking to take the plunge and purchase a Temperature Control unit I can use on a WSM. Ideally, I want one that is battery powered I can use at competitions (When I'm home I like to fuss).

I've seen information on line about DC converters, adaptors, lantern batteries, blah, blah, blah...I would probably electrocute myself.

Does anyone have a simple plug and play option?

My Guru Digi Q is battery powered with one of these using the car adapter.

spin_prod_696117901

My Guru Digi Q is battery powered with one of these using the car adapter.

A car battery and inverter makes every controller battery powered.

Actually if you have a Guru you don't need an inverter. The Guru runs on 12 VDC so all you need is a car adapter.

Yeah, true, but Papa Cat said that he didn't want to mess with any of that.

Friends and Brethren:

I'm looking to take the plunge and purchase a Temperature Control unit I can use on a WSM. Ideally, I want one that is battery powered I can use at competitions (When I'm home I like to fuss).

I've seen information on line about DC converters, adaptors, lantern batteries, blah, blah, blah...I would probably electrocute myself.

Does anyone have a simple plug and play option?

I have the PartyQ for a 22" WSM.

Works like a champ.

It'll run on rechargeable batteries, just put a fresh set in each cook and you won't have to worry.

The fan is a little small, you can't run on just the fan on cold days. You want run all vents wide open to get up to temp, then close off two and plug in the PartyQ when you get to the temp you want. Try to find a balance where the PartyQ can maintain temps running 30-50% of the time - it should cycle on every few seconds. That will make the batteries last. You might have to crack one of the other vents to get it to do that.

I truly appreciate everyone's time and experience! I'm so glad to be a part of this forum and community! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

a pair of 6v cheapo lantern batteries just ran my CyberQWifi over 26 hours

18hr at a contest and then 8+hr the next weekend cooking beef ribs.

a part of me wants to use them again just to see how far I can take them

I know the OP doesn't want to do anything where he might electrocute himself, but in case anyone else reads this for information, there is a "project" for the Pitmaster IQ110/120 to build a rain box and to be able to run it off of what looks like 8 - 10 D batteries. They are updating their webpage and say that project video should be back up tonight.

a pair of 6v cheapo lantern batteries just ran my CyberQWifi over 26 hours

18hr at a contest and then 8+hr the next weekend cooking beef ribs.

a part of me wants to use them again just to see how far I can take them

I do the same thing. Except used the 12v battery out of my kids old power wheels :) Cut the connector off and wire up to this and works fine.

image_23676.jpg

I bought this from Harbor Freight for my car battery, but use it with the DiqiQ all the time. It came with the required cables and it's plug and play. If you can plug a cable into an outlet, you can use this with no chance to kill yourself.

I've been running the Party Q on my 18.5 WSM for overnight cooks for over a year and love it. Took me a while to figure out how to get the temp dialed in to match my Maverick but its rock solid now. I tried the rechargeable batteries for it but couldn't get more than about 12 hours out of them before they quit.

a controller with built-in rechargeable Li-ion battery is going to be ready in July.
Model of battery is 18650. 4 pieces will be needed.
18650 is most popular in notebook.
With built-in rechargeable battery, you will never forget to recharge it, or forget to bring new battery.

With built-in rechargeable battery, you will never forget to recharge it
I'm afraid that's EXACTLY what's gonna happen...
If i'm camping for a few days, w/o access to electricity, it's good for one cook (assuming i recharged it before i left)

I just received, yesterday, the new PartyQ... i might give it a test run this weekend with my new, still virgin, WSM 14.5..

Back