Long Island wood

deez20

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've been lurking on the boards for awhile and have learned a lot of usefull information. My fiance picked me up an early birthday present, a nice new WSM which is great. She got it for me on friday and I used it for the first time on saturday to do a pork butt. The butt came out pretty good for the first time and the family really liked it. Now my wood question. I picked up some hickory chunks from home depot which I used when doing the butt and would like to try some other kinds of wood. I'm looking for some apple, cherry and oak. I know some people on here are from long island and was just wondering where you guys get your wood? I see there was a post about a farm in melville I think it was that had wood, any other places around here?

Steve

drive around with a bow saw in your car.. plenty of people put wood out on garbage days.. easy way to accumulate..

stop tree trimmiong crews they woulkd rather have you haul it off, then thne stand there chipping away t it...

ask your landscaper, or any other landscaper you see if they ever cut down trees.. offer them a rack of ribs, or any other Que'd meat in return for free wood..

dont be shy, and you'll have all the wood you need

This coming weekend when everyone is off at grillkings, go to all of their yards and just grab as much as you want.

parrothead said:
This coming weekend when everyone is off at grillkings, go to all of their yards and just grab as much as you want.

This sounds like a good idea, now all I need is for everyone to PM me their addresses. :-D

I had the day off from work so I want down to prianti farms and got some wood, not sure what I got though. I asked the guy at the counter where I paid what they had and he ran out to the main parking area and asked chiro. He said most of the stuff in the back was oak, cherry and maple so I hope thats what I got. Does anybody know of any websites that can be used to help identify wood? I'm assuming the pieces with bark still on them should be easier to identify.

The only wood ID sites I'm aware of use the leaves to make the ID. Cherry and oak are pretty easy to tell apart from the bark and flesh, although I once cut down a wild cherry tree that had bark very different than what I was accustomed to seeing. Bark can change dramatically between a young and old tree.

Those photos help demostrate my point. Look at Hickory Logs (first and second photos). The flesh appears quite different, perhaps due to length of seasoning, the latter photo appearing to look more like cherry. Now look at the Cherry bark in photos 3 and 4. The bark in photo 3 looks much like the wild cherry I cut down - or perhaps a much older or different variation of cherry. The bark in the 4th photo is more like what I used to see - smooth, thin bark. My point - unless you know what tree the wood really came from, it's more difficult to tell from the bark and flesh. That's some good looking wood in the link though. I need some of that.

Back