Saturday cookout do I have enough?

BillyCal

Knows what a fatty is.
Saturday we a doing a cookout for what started out as a few friends now has grown to 50-60 people. (Guess I do have a few friends) so I have defrosting in the refrigerator 1 10lb bone in butt and 6 St. Louis ribs.

Options I have.
Buy more ribs figure 3 more racks
Cook another butt (have a 8lb boneless in the freezer
Have 2 small pork tender loins in the freezer also
Also have a turkey in the freezer
Buy a brisket

What does everyone think? Also have a 48 lang and a UDS to cook on. Plan is to use the UDS for overnight on the butt and use the lang for the ribs. Also there will be many side dishes and a lot of people are bringing a dish.

Thanks for the help

For 50-60 people, you're going to need a lot more.

How many are kids and how many adults (teenagers eat like adults)?

General rule of thumb from the catering forum seems to be 50% yield on cooked meat like pulled pork, and people eat about 1/3-1/2lb of meat if you just set it out and let them take whatever.

If I were you, I'd at least double what you've got. A dozen St Louis racks and 4 butts might be close to right, 6 butts might be better.

Saturday we a doing a cookout for what started out as a few friends now has grown to 50-60 people. (Guess I do have a few friends) so I have defrosting in the refrigerator 1 10lb bone in butt and 6 St. Louis ribs.

Options I have.
Buy more ribs figure 3 more racks
Cook another butt (have a 8lb boneless in the freezer
Have 2 small pork tender loins in the freezer also
Also have a turkey in the freezer
Buy a brisket

What does everyone think? Also have a 48 lang and a UDS to cook on. Plan is to use the UDS for overnight on the butt and use the lang for the ribs. Also there will be many side dishes and a lot of people are bringing a dish.

Thanks for the help

You are going to need more food for sure! Figure that you will yield anywhere between 50%-60% of the pork...That puts you at 5-6 lbs of finished food....at 6oz a sandwich would put you at around 13-16 sandwiches. Per rack I usually count 3-4 people per rack. This is just from my experiences.

+1. I was going to say that will probably be way short and I too would double it. I tend to find if your Q is good, people will eat more of it than usual especially if they don't get it to0 often.

I just did 4 racks of ribs, 6 lbs of chicken, 2 lbs of sausage, 2 dozen ABT and a pack of pig newtons for 10 people and it was dusted by the end of the day. You've got 5 times that.

I agree it's not enough so if I figure 4 people per rack I need 12.5 racks that's not including the pulled pork. So I was thinking 18lbs pork butt and 12 racks plus all the sides.

The guest are bringing the sides so I do not really know but half the group is from my church and our pot lucks never run out of food so it should be plenty for sides.

I would go with 1/2 pound of meat precook weight unless there are going to be a bunch of sides and apps to fill people up.

Ya, what most people have indicated already. You need a ton more food

I assume 1/2lb to 1lb per person depending on the number of cuts of meat. If one cut of meat, they will eat more.

For 60 people, I would cook an equivalent of 40lbs of meat. For ribs 1/3 of a rack per person. Most dont eat more than 3 or 4 bones tops.

I cooked for about the same count of people...I he 6 slabes of the st.Louie style PLUS the tips which gave me more meat too feed...the I hade 70 hand packed burgers with jack chees in the med...2 trays of chickenes and grill corh the with the husk still on and grill veges.....there was salads that folks brought....You have 6 slabes and 1 butt....as far as meat goes you could add some sausage or chicken or fish...let the folks bring wha they want and call it day...You're fine

I would probably lean towards a dozen racks of ribs and five pork butts. It really depends on if they are piggy eaters or not. If you have the meat up front they tend to put more on their plate. Having the sides first will make for less room to pile on the meat.

We do the cook (for parties) twice a year; every year for 4th of July and for Labor Day. Mind you, we have eaters, and it's not necessarily just 1 serving.

I make 6 9# butts, and usually 8-10 racks of baby back ribs. The ribs always go first, they're usually gone in the first 30 to 45 minutes. Mind you, these are all day parties. We have tons and tons of side dishes. We usually end up with about 1 butt extra left over, sometimes not even that much.

Thanks for all the help. I am going to cook 18lbs pork butt's and 40lbs of ribs. I still might go out and get another 8lb butt.

Back